Re: [textualcriticism] A Brief Intro to NTTC Goals and Guidelines

  • Edward Andrews
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006

      Brian:

      When James says: “Textual criticism is a science, not an art,” he is not speaking in absolute terms.  I believe you are looking at an absolute definition and not allowing it to be relative.  Really, textual criticism is a science, a skill, and an art.  It is a science because its method of research can be studied and described as a system, although with checks and balances one would hope.  It is an art because at times it takes the mind of an artist to effectively convey things such as conjectural emendation that is really more than what the name makes it appear to be.  It is like the instincts of a 30-year veteran police officer at work.  He sees and feels things the rookie would not.  This is not meant to demean, but just as not all people can be exemplary artists, not a people can be exceptional textual critics.

      Edward Andrews

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006
        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "James Snapp, Jr."
        <voxverax@...> wrote:

        > As some here know, I've been working on a compilation of the text of
        > Mark for a while. That project is just about over, and one of its
        > final pieces -- the star on the top of the Christmas tree, so to
        > speak -- has been the composition of an introduction to the text, the
        > text-critical approach used in the compilation, and the notation in
        > the notes (in the annotated edition, which is something like 102 full-
        > size pages long).
        >
        > Here's what I've composed so far. Comments, corrections, and
        > criticisms are welcome.

        Thanks. I've printed a copy for perusal at leisure.

        Martin Edwards
      • James Snapp, Jr.
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006
          Greetings Brian B, James M., and Edward A.,

          Brian B -

          When I say, "Textual criticism is a science, not an art," I mean that
          it is a restorative enterprise, not a creative one. The path to the
          restoration of the contents of the autograph may involve the textual
          critic's imagination and instincts, but they are employed in order
          to find something, not to create something. Any artistry in the end-
          product should be the author's artistry, not the textual critic's
          artistry.

          James M. -

          No; I really and sincerely meant to write "Textual criticism is a
          science, not an art."
          (I did mean to say "stratum" rather than "strata," though.)

          Edward A. -

          I really don't think that textual criticism is an art, because the
          normal goal of art is to produce a work of art, rather than to
          restore or repair one. An artistic instinct may be a useful thing
          for a textual critic to have (if the author was artistic, at least),
          just as an artistic instinct may be required to repair a damaged
          sculpture, but the sculpture-repairer's goal is to restore -- and,
          where pieces are missing, to faithfully re-create -- the original
          sculpture, not to engage in his own artistic expression or to express
          anything except what the sculptor displayed. Conjectural emendation
          might overlap science and art -- like the re-creation of the
          pulverized fingers of a statue might -- but conjectural emendation is
          such a teensy-tiny aspect of New Testament textual criticism, it
          doesn't seem justifiable to let it drive the classification of T.C.
          into Art.

          Curtisville Christian Church
          Indiana (USA)
        • Gie Vleugels
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 14, 2006
            Good mornig (Brussels time),
            There are lots of excellent textual critics without any qualities in the 'traditional' artistic fields (poetry, music, painting ...). If we call TC an art, than it is not like the other arts at all.
            Gie Vleugels

            www.curtisvillechri stian.org/BasicTC.html

            --
            Gie Vleugels

                        ><(((°>  +  <°)))><
          • yennifmit
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 14, 2006
              On the science/art thing, I think that New Testament textual criticism
              is a bit of both and then some more. A lot of the discipline is (or
              should be) forensic--that is, concerned with collecting, weighing, and
              interpreting evidence. It is like what a judge does in a court room:
              The cop says, "The defendant drove his vehicle into mine." A witness
              says, "The officer staggered out of the hotel, got in his car, then
              drove into that man's car." The judge weighs the evidence (and the
              witnesses) then tries to decide what really happened.

              Sometimes it is easy to work out what happened, and you can be certain
              beyond reasonable doubt. Other times you might not be so certain. That
              is why it is a good idea to say how sure you are of a conclusion. The
              UBS Greek New Testament editors did this when they assigned letter
              grades (A, B, C, D) to their preferred readings.

              There is a lot of room for improvement in this area. Statistical
              analysis can be applied to the evidence. I have been at work on
              something along these lines and am almost ready to release the first
              installment.

              The art/science discussion reminds me of the internal/external
              evidence dichotomy that has been used to classify the various
              principles of NTtc. It seems to me that the art associates with the
              internal and the science with the external.

              Best

              Tim Finney

            • brian.boland.dslw@oneteldsl8.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 14, 2006
                 James Snapp, Jr. -said
                "When I say, "Textual criticism is a science, not an art," I mean that it is a restorative enterprise, not a creative one. The path to the restoration of the contents of the autograph may involve the textual
                critic's imagination and instincts, but they are employed in order to find something, not to create something. Any artistry in the end-product should be the author's artistry, not the textual critic's
                artistry."
                Brian Boland replies -
                When a painting is being renovated, it is a very difficult decision to remove some earlier restoration work to seek for the original [which may not be there !] There are no absolutes in the decision, so in that respect it must be an art !!!
                When a structure is designed whether a bridge, skyscraper or auto  the overall shape that is developed by the imagination is a form of art  The science then determines the details on how it stand up against the rigours of daily life.To restore a Model T Ford to its former condition should be accomplished without any imagination of the restorer just a highly skillful one of copying the original build techniques. ie just science
                Rufinus rewrote Tertullian's work, at Jerome's great displeasure because, he said, Tertullian asked questions, but Romans need answers. There was then at that time a desire to remove uncertainity in scriptual discussion and provide a firm basis of belief. It seems then it MAY have led to pressure being put on textural copying houses to standardise texts in much the same way as the KJV was endorsed in the English speaking world.The macro understanding of the text generation system may then have a bigger impact on the texts we now have before us than the examination of the minutiae of the copying pecularities of single scribes. Whether this "humanity" is called an art or science depends on where your cultural roots lie
                Brian j
                __BBBbbbbbbb,_Brian j._,___
              • Viktor Golinets
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 15, 2006
                  Yesterday a page of the Codex Sinaiticus was displayed in the Leipzig
                  University Library. It is the page 23 of folios that are in the Leipzig
                  University Library and it contains the text from the Book of Jeremiah
                  17.8b-18.6a. (A snap shot of the page is attached.)
                    In a short lecture the history of the codex was sketched and the
                  international Codex Sinaiticus project was introduced.

                    See details under
                    http://db.uni-leipzig.de/aktuell/index.php?pmnummer=2006371

                  Viktor Golinets, M.A.

                  Altorientalisches Institut
                  Universität Leipzig

                  Institut für Semitistik
                  Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, München

                  Yahoo! 360° – Bloggen und Leute treffen. Erstellen Sie jetzt Ihre eigene Seite – kostenlos!.
                • Peter M. Head
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 15, 2006
                    Thanks for this news.

                    It is a pity that all the partners to the Sinaiticus project seem to have adopted this idea for publicity purposes that Sinaiticus is 'the oldest Bible in the world' - "die älteste Bibel der Welt" - which it plainly isn't. I'm quite happy with "eines der bedeutendsten Bibelmanuskripte der Welt" - no one could disagree with that.

                    For the British Library on the "World's oldest Bible" see http://www.bl.uk/news/2005/pressrelease20050311.html

                    Cheers

                    Peter

                    At 09:19 15/12/2006, you wrote:
                    Yesterday a page of the Codex Sinaiticus was displayed in the Leipzig
                    University Library. It is the page 23 of folios that are in the Leipzig
                    University Library and it contains the text from the Book of Jeremiah
                    17.8b-18.6a. (A snap shot of the page is attached.)
                      In a short lecture the history of the codex was sketched and the
                    international Codex Sinaiticus project was introduced.

                      See details under
                      http://db.uni-leipzig.de/aktuell/index.php?pmnummer=2006371

                    Viktor Golinets, M.A.

                    Altorientalisches Institut
                    Universität Leipzig

                    Institut für Semitistik
                    Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, München

                    Yahoo! 360° – Bloggen und Leute treffen. Erstellen Sie jetzt Ihre eigene Seite – kostenlos!.

                    Peter M. Head, PhD
                    Tyndale House
                    36 Selwyn Gardens
                    Cambridge CB3 9BA