TON NAZAPHNON

  • Mark Thunderson
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 20, 2006
      David Robert Palmer wrote:

      While I am on this topic, what is the meaning of the
      mathematical division sign that marks where these
      words TON NAZARHNON are found in other manuscripts
      except Codex Bezae, in 16:6?  Some are calling it
      alemniscus.

      What I am asking is, the scribe or editor or corrector
      who inserted this sign, what judgment or conclusion is
      he making about this textualvariant, if any?  For
      example, is he saying it is an accidental ommission,
      or it is a more neutral mark, indicating the presence
      of a variant?

      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

      David,

      I too am intrigued by the placement of TON NAZAPHNON
      in the margins at 16:6. The variant is significant
      for a number of reasons, and, no doubt, is linked to
      the two other instances in the Gospel of Mark where
      there are similar variants (Mk. 1:24 and 10:48). I
      suppose one reason why it is placed in the margins is
      because of the origin of the term NAZARHNE in Mark
      (1:24 - column 3) where it appears on the lips of a
      demonized man who refers to Jesus as "a Nazaraene of
      Jesus" (cf. the variant SOU in Vaticanus).
      Furthermore, in the second appearance (10:48 - column
      55) Mark places the term NAZARHNE on the lips of a
      small crowd in the Judean dialect, thus we read
      "NAZWPAIOS." That the scribes of Sinaiticus probably
      understood it this way, is supported by the variant
      Judea vs. Gallilee in Mk 1: 28 (column 4). Hence, TON
      NAZARHNON at 16:6 is placed in the margins, (a)
      because this is the language of demons, and (b)
      because the text of Mark in Sinaiticus supports this
      theological interpretation. Finally, the handful of
      variants that arose in other manuscripts around this
      term, probably arose on account of a lack of
      understanding as to the authorial intent of Mark's
      Gospel. Yet, it is worth considering, if possibly the
      Autograph contained TON NAZARHNON, and where.

      Mark Thunderson.

      Sponsored Link

      Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
      $420k for $1,399/mo. Calculate new payment!
      www.LowerMyBills.com/lre