Re: [textualcriticism] High Rez Images of Sinaiticus

  • brian.boland.dslw@oneteldsl8.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
      I have had the experience as Martin with same base
      Brian j
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
        It must be something on your end, because I had no problems downloading it and opening
        it...

        On 19 Nov 2006 at 17:29, K.Martin Heide wrote:

        > Thank you very much, but the file seems to have an error.
        > I downloaded it two times, with 1GB memory and a fast internet connection, but both times I was
        > prompted by a file-open error.
        >
        > Martin
        >
        > Mark Thunderson wrote:
        > Dear List:
        >
        > I have created a digitally enhanced PDF file in color
        > of Sinaiticus (Gospel of Mark). If you are
        > interested, you can download it free at:
        >
        > http://www.movedigital.com/go/ Sinaiticus
        >
        > The file is 233 meg (you need a good computer with
        > memory). However, I built the file for my own
        > purposes, some of which included being able to view
        > the most minute details on the pages. Therefore, you
        > can zoom with clarity to about 1800% - 2000% in Adobe
        > Reader (maybe even more!).
        >
        > Mark Thunderson.
        >
        > ________________________________________________ __________
        > Sponsored Link
        >
        > $420k for $1,399/mo.
        > Think You Pay Too Much For Your Mortgage?
        > Find Out! www.LowerMyBills.com/lre

        Dave Washburn
        Some people's bodies retain water. Mine retains ice cream.
      • David Robert Palmer
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006

          I downloaded this PDF and successfully opened it my first try.

          It is in fact higher resolution than the images on the CSNTM site. http://www.csntm. org/Manuscripts/ GA%2001/GA01_ 029a.jpg

          For example, the words TON NAZARHNON that a corrector added to the right of the first column, at 16:6, are more legible.  With the online image, the Zeta is less legible than in this PDF.

          While I am on this topic, what is the meaning of the mathematical division sign that marks where these words TON NAZARHNON are found in other manuscripts except Codex Bezae, in 16:6?  Some are calling it a lemniscus.

          What I am asking is, the scribe or editor or corrector who inserted this sign, what judgment or conclusion is he making about this textual variant, if any?  For example, is he saying it is an accidental ommission, or it is a more neutral mark, indicating the presence of a variant?

          BTW, Scrivener says this is a case of homoioteleuton.  I can see that point of view, that the scribe skipped from one TON to the next TON.

          Thanks.

          Mark Thunderson wrote:

          Dear List:

          I have created a digitally enhanced PDF file in color
          of Sinaiticus (Gospel of Mark). If you are
          interested, you can download it free at:

          http://www.movedigi tal.com/go/ Sinaiticus

          The file is 233 meg (you need a good computer with
          memory). However, I built the file for my own
          purposes, some of which included being able to view
          the most minute details on the pages. Therefore, you
          can zoom with clarity to about 1800% - 2000% in Adobe
          Reader (maybe even more!).

          Mark Thunderson.

      • K.Martin Heide
        Message 4 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
          Today, I gave it a try again, this time with internet explorer 7. Worked fine.
          It seems Firefox and download programs have problems here.

          Martin

          Mark Thunderson wrote:

          Dear List:

          I have created a digitally enhanced PDF file in color
          of Sinaiticus (Gospel of Mark). If you are
          interested, you can download it free at:

          http://www.movedigi tal.com/go/ Sinaiticus

          The file is 233 meg (you need a good computer with
          memory). However, I built the file for my own
          purposes, some of which included being able to view
          the most minute details on the pages. Therefore, you
          can zoom with clarity to about 1800% - 2000% in Adobe
          Reader (maybe even more!).

          Mark Thunderson.

          Sponsored Link

          $420k for $1,399/mo.
          Find Out! www.LowerMyBills. com/lre

        • Mark Thunderson
          Message 5 of 10 , Nov 20, 2006
            David Robert Palmer wrote:

            While I am on this topic, what is the meaning of the
            mathematical division sign that marks where these
            words TON NAZARHNON are found in other manuscripts
            except Codex Bezae, in 16:6?  Some are calling it
            alemniscus.

            What I am asking is, the scribe or editor or corrector
            who inserted this sign, what judgment or conclusion is
            he making about this textualvariant, if any?  For
            example, is he saying it is an accidental ommission,
            or it is a more neutral mark, indicating the presence
            of a variant?

            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

            David,

            I too am intrigued by the placement of TON NAZAPHNON
            in the margins at 16:6. The variant is significant
            for a number of reasons, and, no doubt, is linked to
            the two other instances in the Gospel of Mark where
            there are similar variants (Mk. 1:24 and 10:48). I
            suppose one reason why it is placed in the margins is
            because of the origin of the term NAZARHNE in Mark
            (1:24 - column 3) where it appears on the lips of a
            demonized man who refers to Jesus as "a Nazaraene of
            Jesus" (cf. the variant SOU in Vaticanus).
            Furthermore, in the second appearance (10:48 - column
            55) Mark places the term NAZARHNE on the lips of a
            small crowd in the Judean dialect, thus we read
            "NAZWPAIOS." That the scribes of Sinaiticus probably
            understood it this way, is supported by the variant
            Judea vs. Gallilee in Mk 1: 28 (column 4). Hence, TON
            NAZARHNON at 16:6 is placed in the margins, (a)
            because this is the language of demons, and (b)
            because the text of Mark in Sinaiticus supports this
            theological interpretation. Finally, the handful of
            variants that arose in other manuscripts around this
            term, probably arose on account of a lack of
            understanding as to the authorial intent of Mark's
            Gospel. Yet, it is worth considering, if possibly the
            Autograph contained TON NAZARHNON, and where.

            Mark Thunderson.

            Sponsored Link

            Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
            $420k for $1,399/mo. Calculate new payment!
            www.LowerMyBills.com/lre