Re: [textualcriticism] High Rez Images of Sinaiticus

  • Daniel J. Mount
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
      The file worked fine for me. I would love to see the rest of the manuscript uploaded in like fashion.

      Daniel J. Mount

      K.Martin Heide wrote:

      Thank you very much, but the file seems to have an error.
      I downloaded it two times, with 1GB memory and a fast internet connection, but both times I was prompted by a file-open error.

      Martin

      Mark Thunderson wrote:

      Dear List:

      I have created a digitally enhanced PDF file in color
      of Sinaiticus (Gospel of Mark). If you are
      interested, you can download it free at:

      http://www.movedigi tal.com/go/ Sinaiticus

      The file is 233 meg (you need a good computer with
      memory). However, I built the file for my own
      purposes, some of which included being able to view
      the most minute details on the pages. Therefore, you
      can zoom with clarity to about 1800% - 2000% in Adobe
      Reader (maybe even more!).

      Mark Thunderson.

      Sponsored Link

      $420k for $1,399/mo.
      Find Out! www.LowerMyBills. com/lre

  • brian.boland.dslw@oneteldsl8.net
    Message 2 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
      I have had the experience as Martin with same base
      Brian j

      Message 3 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
        It must be something on your end, because I had no problems downloading it and opening
        it...

        On 19 Nov 2006 at 17:29, K.Martin Heide wrote:

        > Thank you very much, but the file seems to have an error.
        > I downloaded it two times, with 1GB memory and a fast internet connection, but both times I was
        > prompted by a file-open error.
        >
        > Martin
        >
        > Mark Thunderson wrote:
        > Dear List:
        >
        > I have created a digitally enhanced PDF file in color
        > of Sinaiticus (Gospel of Mark). If you are
        > interested, you can download it free at:
        >
        > http://www.movedigital.com/go/ Sinaiticus
        >
        > The file is 233 meg (you need a good computer with
        > memory). However, I built the file for my own
        > purposes, some of which included being able to view
        > the most minute details on the pages. Therefore, you
        > can zoom with clarity to about 1800% - 2000% in Adobe
        > Reader (maybe even more!).
        >
        > Mark Thunderson.
        >
        > ________________________________________________ __________
        > Sponsored Link
        >
        > $420k for $1,399/mo.
        > Think You Pay Too Much For Your Mortgage?
        > Find Out! www.LowerMyBills.com/lre

        Dave Washburn
        Some people's bodies retain water. Mine retains ice cream.
      • Mark Thunderson
        Message 4 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
          Martin:

          I'm not certain, but it might be that you need to
          update the version of Adobe Acrobat on your PC. Other
          list members have downloaded the file and opened it
          with no problems.

          Mark Thunderson

          ---------------------------------

          Mark Thunderson wrote:
          Dear List:

          I have created a digitally enhanced PDF file in color
          of Sinaiticus (Gospel of Mark). If you are
          interested, you can download it free at:

          http://www.movedigital.com/go/Sinaiticus

          The file is 233 meg (you need a good computer with
          memory). However, I built the file for my own
          purposes, some of which included being able to view
          the most minute details on the pages. Therefore, you
          can zoom with clarity to about 1800% - 2000% in Adobe
          Reader (maybe even more!).

          Mark Thunderson.

          Sponsored Link

          $420k for $1,399/mo.
          Find Out! www.LowerMyBills.com/lre

          Sponsored Link

          Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
          $510k for $1,698/mo. Calculate new payment!
          www.LowerMyBills.com/lre
        • David Robert Palmer
          Message 5 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006

            I downloaded this PDF and successfully opened it my first try.

            It is in fact higher resolution than the images on the CSNTM site. http://www.csntm. org/Manuscripts/ GA%2001/GA01_ 029a.jpg

            For example, the words TON NAZARHNON that a corrector added to the right of the first column, at 16:6, are more legible.  With the online image, the Zeta is less legible than in this PDF.

            While I am on this topic, what is the meaning of the mathematical division sign that marks where these words TON NAZARHNON are found in other manuscripts except Codex Bezae, in 16:6?  Some are calling it a lemniscus.

            What I am asking is, the scribe or editor or corrector who inserted this sign, what judgment or conclusion is he making about this textual variant, if any?  For example, is he saying it is an accidental ommission, or it is a more neutral mark, indicating the presence of a variant?

            BTW, Scrivener says this is a case of homoioteleuton.  I can see that point of view, that the scribe skipped from one TON to the next TON.

            Thanks.

              Message 7 of 10 , Nov 20, 2006
                David Robert Palmer wrote:

                While I am on this topic, what is the meaning of the
                mathematical division sign that marks where these
                words TON NAZARHNON are found in other manuscripts
                except Codex Bezae, in 16:6?  Some are calling it
                alemniscus.

                What I am asking is, the scribe or editor or corrector
                who inserted this sign, what judgment or conclusion is
                he making about this textualvariant, if any?  For
                example, is he saying it is an accidental ommission,
                or it is a more neutral mark, indicating the presence
                of a variant?

                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

                David,

                I too am intrigued by the placement of TON NAZAPHNON
                in the margins at 16:6. The variant is significant
                for a number of reasons, and, no doubt, is linked to
                the two other instances in the Gospel of Mark where
                there are similar variants (Mk. 1:24 and 10:48). I
                suppose one reason why it is placed in the margins is
                because of the origin of the term NAZARHNE in Mark
                (1:24 - column 3) where it appears on the lips of a
                demonized man who refers to Jesus as "a Nazaraene of
                Jesus" (cf. the variant SOU in Vaticanus).
                Furthermore, in the second appearance (10:48 - column
                55) Mark places the term NAZARHNE on the lips of a
                small crowd in the Judean dialect, thus we read
                "NAZWPAIOS." That the scribes of Sinaiticus probably
                understood it this way, is supported by the variant
                Judea vs. Gallilee in Mk 1: 28 (column 4). Hence, TON
                NAZARHNON at 16:6 is placed in the margins, (a)
                because this is the language of demons, and (b)
                because the text of Mark in Sinaiticus supports this
                theological interpretation. Finally, the handful of
                variants that arose in other manuscripts around this
                term, probably arose on account of a lack of
                understanding as to the authorial intent of Mark's
                Gospel. Yet, it is worth considering, if possibly the
                Autograph contained TON NAZARHNON, and where.

                Mark Thunderson.

                Sponsored Link

                Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
                $420k for $1,399/mo. Calculate new payment!
                www.LowerMyBills.com/lre