[textualcriticism] High Rez Images of Sinaiticus

  • Mark Thunderson
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 18, 2006
      Dear List:

      I have created a digitally enhanced PDF file in color
      of Sinaiticus (Gospel of Mark). If you are
      interested, you can download it free at:

      http://www.movedigital.com/go/Sinaiticus

      The file is 233 meg (you need a good computer with
      memory). However, I built the file for my own
      purposes, some of which included being able to view
      the most minute details on the pages. Therefore, you
      can zoom with clarity to about 1800% - 2000% in Adobe
      Reader (maybe even more!).

      Mark Thunderson.

      Sponsored Link

      $420k for $1,399/mo.
      Find Out! www.LowerMyBills.com/lre
    • K.Martin Heide
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
        Thank you very much, but the file seems to have an error.
        I downloaded it two times, with 1GB memory and a fast internet connection, but both times I was prompted by a file-open error.

        Martin

        Mark Thunderson wrote:

        Dear List:

        I have created a digitally enhanced PDF file in color
        of Sinaiticus (Gospel of Mark). If you are
        interested, you can download it free at:

        http://www.movedigi tal.com/go/ Sinaiticus

        The file is 233 meg (you need a good computer with
        memory). However, I built the file for my own
        purposes, some of which included being able to view
        the most minute details on the pages. Therefore, you
        can zoom with clarity to about 1800% - 2000% in Adobe
        Reader (maybe even more!).

        Mark Thunderson.

        Sponsored Link

        $420k for $1,399/mo.
        Find Out! www.LowerMyBills. com/lre

      • Daniel J. Mount
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
          The file worked fine for me. I would love to see the rest of the manuscript uploaded in like fashion.

          Daniel J. Mount

      • brian.boland.dslw@oneteldsl8.net
        Message 4 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
          I have had the experience as Martin with same base
          Brian j

          Message 5 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
            It must be something on your end, because I had no problems downloading it and opening
            it...

            On 19 Nov 2006 at 17:29, K.Martin Heide wrote:

            > Thank you very much, but the file seems to have an error.
            > I downloaded it two times, with 1GB memory and a fast internet connection, but both times I was
            > prompted by a file-open error.
            >
            > Martin
            >
            > Mark Thunderson wrote:
            > Dear List:
            >
            > I have created a digitally enhanced PDF file in color
            > of Sinaiticus (Gospel of Mark). If you are
            > interested, you can download it free at:
            >
            > http://www.movedigital.com/go/ Sinaiticus
            >
            > The file is 233 meg (you need a good computer with
            > memory). However, I built the file for my own
            > purposes, some of which included being able to view
            > the most minute details on the pages. Therefore, you
            > can zoom with clarity to about 1800% - 2000% in Adobe
            > Reader (maybe even more!).
            >
            > Mark Thunderson.
            >
            > ________________________________________________ __________
            > Sponsored Link
            >
            > $420k for $1,399/mo.
            > Think You Pay Too Much For Your Mortgage?
            > Find Out! www.LowerMyBills.com/lre

            Dave Washburn
            Some people's bodies retain water. Mine retains ice cream.
          • Mark Thunderson
            Message 6 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006
              Martin:

              I'm not certain, but it might be that you need to
              update the version of Adobe Acrobat on your PC. Other
              list members have downloaded the file and opened it
              with no problems.

              Mark Thunderson

              ---------------------------------

              Mark Thunderson wrote:
              Dear List:

              I have created a digitally enhanced PDF file in color
              of Sinaiticus (Gospel of Mark). If you are
              interested, you can download it free at:

              http://www.movedigital.com/go/Sinaiticus

              The file is 233 meg (you need a good computer with
              memory). However, I built the file for my own
              purposes, some of which included being able to view
              the most minute details on the pages. Therefore, you
              can zoom with clarity to about 1800% - 2000% in Adobe
              Reader (maybe even more!).

              Mark Thunderson.

              Sponsored Link

              $420k for $1,399/mo.
              Find Out! www.LowerMyBills.com/lre

              Sponsored Link

              Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
              $510k for $1,698/mo. Calculate new payment!
              www.LowerMyBills.com/lre
            • David Robert Palmer
              Message 7 of 10 , Nov 19, 2006

                I downloaded this PDF and successfully opened it my first try.

                It is in fact higher resolution than the images on the CSNTM site. http://www.csntm. org/Manuscripts/ GA%2001/GA01_ 029a.jpg

                For example, the words TON NAZARHNON that a corrector added to the right of the first column, at 16:6, are more legible.  With the online image, the Zeta is less legible than in this PDF.

                While I am on this topic, what is the meaning of the mathematical division sign that marks where these words TON NAZARHNON are found in other manuscripts except Codex Bezae, in 16:6?  Some are calling it a lemniscus.

                What I am asking is, the scribe or editor or corrector who inserted this sign, what judgment or conclusion is he making about this textual variant, if any?  For example, is he saying it is an accidental ommission, or it is a more neutral mark, indicating the presence of a variant?

                BTW, Scrivener says this is a case of homoioteleuton.  I can see that point of view, that the scribe skipped from one TON to the next TON.

                Thanks.

                  Message 9 of 10 , Nov 20, 2006
                    David Robert Palmer wrote:

                    While I am on this topic, what is the meaning of the
                    mathematical division sign that marks where these
                    words TON NAZARHNON are found in other manuscripts
                    except Codex Bezae, in 16:6?  Some are calling it
                    alemniscus.

                    What I am asking is, the scribe or editor or corrector
                    who inserted this sign, what judgment or conclusion is
                    he making about this textualvariant, if any?  For
                    example, is he saying it is an accidental ommission,
                    or it is a more neutral mark, indicating the presence
                    of a variant?

                    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

                    David,

                    I too am intrigued by the placement of TON NAZAPHNON
                    in the margins at 16:6. The variant is significant
                    for a number of reasons, and, no doubt, is linked to
                    the two other instances in the Gospel of Mark where
                    there are similar variants (Mk. 1:24 and 10:48). I
                    suppose one reason why it is placed in the margins is
                    because of the origin of the term NAZARHNE in Mark
                    (1:24 - column 3) where it appears on the lips of a
                    demonized man who refers to Jesus as "a Nazaraene of
                    Jesus" (cf. the variant SOU in Vaticanus).
                    Furthermore, in the second appearance (10:48 - column
                    55) Mark places the term NAZARHNE on the lips of a
                    small crowd in the Judean dialect, thus we read
                    "NAZWPAIOS." That the scribes of Sinaiticus probably
                    understood it this way, is supported by the variant
                    Judea vs. Gallilee in Mk 1: 28 (column 4). Hence, TON
                    NAZARHNON at 16:6 is placed in the margins, (a)
                    because this is the language of demons, and (b)
                    because the text of Mark in Sinaiticus supports this
                    theological interpretation. Finally, the handful of
                    variants that arose in other manuscripts around this
                    term, probably arose on account of a lack of
                    understanding as to the authorial intent of Mark's
                    Gospel. Yet, it is worth considering, if possibly the
                    Autograph contained TON NAZARHNON, and where.

                    Mark Thunderson.

                    Sponsored Link

                    Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
                    $420k for $1,399/mo. Calculate new payment!
                    www.LowerMyBills.com/lre