Recommended books on textual criticism

  • Marion Fox
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 13, 2006
      My name in Marion Fox and I am new to the list. I will be lurking but would like some recommendations from you on materials for textual criticism. I do not speak or write German but am proficient in Greek and have completed a year of Hebrew. I have also studied Russian, but do not think that would help in the study of textual criticism.

      I would like to have your recommendation on textbooks for a study of textual criticism. Please recommend them on three levels:

      1-elementary

      2-intermediate

      3-and advanced

      Thanking you in advance.

      Yours in His service,
    • Jean G. Valentin
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 13, 2006
        > De : "Marion Fox" <mrfox1@...>
        > Répondre à : textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com
        > Date : Mon, 13 Nov 2006 10:52:10 -0600
        > À : textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com
        > Objet : [textualcriticism] Recommended books on textual criticism
        >
        > My name in Marion Fox and I am new to the list. I will be lurking but would
        > like some recommendations from you on materials for textual criticism. I do
        > not speak or write German but am proficient in Greek and have completed a
        > year of Hebrew. I have also studied Russian, but do not think that would
        > help in the study of textual criticism.

        Just a remark about Russian: I'm not sure it's so pointless. It can be a
        very good introduction to Slavonic, and there's a lot to do concerning
        textual criticism (and liturgy, and patristics) in that language!

        I'll let the more qualified people respond to your other question.

        --
        Jean Valentin - Bruxelles - Belgique
        jgvalentin@...

        "Et bien que je ne prétende pas comprendre,
        Je continuerai à étudier jusqu'à la fin"

        (Sutra du retour à la nature originelle -
        texte chrétien chinois - VIIIe siècle)
      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 13, 2006

          Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 10:52 AM
          Subject: [textualcriticism] Recommended books on textual criticism

          My name in Marion Fox and I am new to the list. I will be lurking but would like some recommendations from you on materials for textual criticism. I do not speak or write German but am proficient in Greek and have completed a year of Hebrew. I have also studied Russian, but do not think that would help in the study of textual criticism.

          I would like to have your recommendation on textbooks for a study of textual criticism. Please recommend them on three levels:

          1-elementary

          2-intermediate

          3-and advanced

          Thanking you in advance.

          Yours in His service,

          --
          Marion Fox

          I was going to attempt an answer, as an amateur, and cite Metzger, Borland, and others but they are mentioned in the following by James Adair.  Additionally Wieland Willker and a number of awesome text critics are aboard so I will leave it to them.

          Good luck

          Jack Kilmon
          San Antonio, Texas
        • Edward Andrews
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 13, 2006

            Marion Fox:

            1-elementary

            • Neil R. Lightfoot ; How We Got the Bible, 3rd edition (Not specifically textual criticism, but it has two benefits, it lays a nice foundation of that area as many other related areas.)
            • J. Harold Greenlee; Introduction to Textual Criticism, revised edition.

            2-intermediate

            • Bruce M. Metzger; The Text of the New Testament: It Transmission, Corruption and Restoration, 3rd edition; and Kurt Aland and Barbara Aland; The Text of the New Testament, revised

            3-and advanced

            To be honest with you, I would read the first three in this order, for these reasons:

            1. How We Got the Bible:  It will lay a nice well-rounded foundation.
            2. Introduction to Textual Criticism:  Greenlee is very easy to understand and he is well balanced with his reasoning.
            3. The Text of the New Testament: It Transmission, Corruption and Restoration: This book is a given for every textual critic and if being used as a source means anything, Metzger’s books are by far the most referred to.

            Edward Andrews

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 13, 2006

              FWIW: You can check out my blog series on textual criticism of the Hebrew Bible. It includes a select bibliography of resources that may help you.

              You can find it here:

              http://biblical-studies.ca/blog/wp/category/textual-criticism-of-the-hebrew-bible/

              - Tyler
              Tyler F. Williams
              Codex: Resources for Biblical Studies
              Web: http://biblical-studies.ca
              Blog: http://biblical-studies.ca/blog

              Chair, Religion & Theology Department
              Assistant Professor of Old Testament/Hebrew Bible Taylor University College
              11525 - 23 Avenue, Edmonton , AB , Canada    T6J 4T3
              Phone: (780) 431-5217 / Fax: (780) 436-9416
              Email: tyler.williams@...

              This communication is intended for the use of the recipient(s) to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and or privileged information. Please contact me immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it, unless you obtain permission from me. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 14, 2006
                You might try the bibliography at the BibleMSS site:

                http://purl.org/BibleMSS

                Best

                Tim Finney