Re: [textualcriticism] NT papyri on CD, almost

  • Tommy Wasserman
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 13, 2006
      Wieland wrote

      "I have tried to break down the file into smaller units, but it is not
      possible, because the content is protected."

      Did you try to break down the file by using Adobe Acrobat Professional?
      Perhaps one can rename the monster with "save as" and then remove whole
      pages (not using camera) and save chunks and bits ...

      WW:

      "He thinks that classical philology is superior to NT TC and knows
      everything much better. Münster is on the wrong track with NA etc ..."

      I have encountered the same critical attitude from other scholars
      working in the field of papyrology. To some extent I can understand the
      frustration from this camp when too much attention is devoted to the
      text, whereas the carrier of the text, i.e., the physical MS, is placed
      in the background. However, there must be room for expertise in
      different areas, and an openess from all sides for the largely
      unexplored areas where the disciplines converge, and "bring forth much
      fruit."

      Tommy Wasserman
      Centre for Theology and Religious Studies
      Lund University
      Sweden

    • mydogregae01
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 13, 2006
        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker"
        <willker@...> wrote:

        > The bad news: It is unusable.

        > Well, the images are there, embedded in the PDF, mostly b/w, but
        usable. You can extract them with the "camera" tool in Adobe PDF
        Reader, but that's all. No real images (like JPG). Very disappointing.

        > The text is also there, but I haven't checked it yet.
        >

        > Well, what can I say? I got it for free so I will probably use it if
        I need an image of a papyrus otherwise unavailable. But I need a lot
        of time to open the document and to find the papyrus there. And I
        cannot work with the image in a graphics program.
        > I wouldn't buy the CD for 78 Euro.

        > I have tried to break down the file into smaller units, but it is
        not possible, because the content is protected.
        > I am unable to understand how one can create such a monstrosity.

        > Wieland
        +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Mr. Dykes replies:

        Wieland, burn me a copy of the CD and send it to me (address off LIST)
        I think you know my address, if not email me.

        I can extract all contents into any format, page by page, JPG TIFF
        BMP, or any other image format, or text. I can do this in about a
        week. I can even rename each papyrus according to the NA system. I can
        also enhance the resolutions of the images! I will then return all to
        you. You may then contact the publishers and offer them the "improved"
        version, OR just use the revision and extractions privately. I await
        your word.

        I doubt that they have P14 and P11 and P68, but it would be great for
        me if they did have the full images of these hard to find
        (Sinai/Russian) papyri! Still I will gladly do this for you.

        Gary
        www.BIBLICAL-DATA.org