NT papyri on CD, almost

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 12, 2006
      The good news:
      There is a CD out which contains images and text of almost all NT papyri.
      Look here:
      http://www.echter.de/buchanzeige.asp?ISBN=3-429-02805-1

      The bad news: It is unusable.
      I received a review copy.
      The CD contains only one mega-large PDF file of 330 MB consisting of 5163 pages.
      On a standard office computer it takes ca. 3-10 min to load the document. Safe the file to disk takes about 1 hour! And all this only works if you have a freshly rebooted computer to get as much working memory as possible. I have tested this on three different computers.

      Well, the images are there, embedded in the PDF, mostly b/w, but usable. You can extract them with the "camera" tool in Adobe PDF Reader, but that's all. No real images (like JPG). Very disappointing.

      The text is also there, but I haven't checked it yet.

      The papyri are not numbered according to their NA number, and so it is very difficult to find anything. They are separated in three folders according to their age era and labeled by their library name! Oh dear.

      Ulrich Victor is involved in this project with three papers at the end of the file. I had a small email exchange with him a while ago. He thinks that classical philology is superior to NT TC and knows everything much better. Münster is on the wrong track with NA etc ...

      Well, what can I say? I got it for free so I will probably use it if I need an image of a papyrus otherwise unavailable. But I need a lot of time to open the document and to find the papyrus there. And I cannot work with the image in a graphics program.
      I wouldn't buy the CD for 78 Euro.

      Everything is in German btw, except for the Greek.

      I have tried to break down the file into smaller units, but it is not possible, because the content is protected.
      I am unable to understand how one can create such a monstrosity.

      Note for Publisher:
      Do it again!
      Separate text and images!
      Give us the full images as JPGs in organized folders.
      Use Gregory-Aland numbers!
      Use small manageable file sizes.

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
    • Tommy Wasserman
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 13, 2006
        Wieland wrote

        "I have tried to break down the file into smaller units, but it is not
        possible, because the content is protected."

        Did you try to break down the file by using Adobe Acrobat Professional?
        Perhaps one can rename the monster with "save as" and then remove whole
        pages (not using camera) and save chunks and bits ...

        WW:

        "He thinks that classical philology is superior to NT TC and knows
        everything much better. Münster is on the wrong track with NA etc ..."

        I have encountered the same critical attitude from other scholars
        working in the field of papyrology. To some extent I can understand the
        frustration from this camp when too much attention is devoted to the
        text, whereas the carrier of the text, i.e., the physical MS, is placed
        in the background. However, there must be room for expertise in
        different areas, and an openess from all sides for the largely
        unexplored areas where the disciplines converge, and "bring forth much
        fruit."

        Tommy Wasserman
        Centre for Theology and Religious Studies
        Lund University
        Sweden

      • mydogregae01
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 13, 2006
          --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker"
          <willker@...> wrote:

          > The bad news: It is unusable.

          > Well, the images are there, embedded in the PDF, mostly b/w, but
          usable. You can extract them with the "camera" tool in Adobe PDF
          Reader, but that's all. No real images (like JPG). Very disappointing.

          > The text is also there, but I haven't checked it yet.
          >

          > Well, what can I say? I got it for free so I will probably use it if
          I need an image of a papyrus otherwise unavailable. But I need a lot
          of time to open the document and to find the papyrus there. And I
          cannot work with the image in a graphics program.
          > I wouldn't buy the CD for 78 Euro.

          > I have tried to break down the file into smaller units, but it is
          not possible, because the content is protected.
          > I am unable to understand how one can create such a monstrosity.

          > Wieland
          +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          Mr. Dykes replies:

          Wieland, burn me a copy of the CD and send it to me (address off LIST)
          I think you know my address, if not email me.

          I can extract all contents into any format, page by page, JPG TIFF
          BMP, or any other image format, or text. I can do this in about a
          week. I can even rename each papyrus according to the NA system. I can
          also enhance the resolutions of the images! I will then return all to
          you. You may then contact the publishers and offer them the "improved"
          version, OR just use the revision and extractions privately. I await
          your word.

          I doubt that they have P14 and P11 and P68, but it would be great for
          me if they did have the full images of these hard to find
          (Sinai/Russian) papyri! Still I will gladly do this for you.

          Gary
          www.BIBLICAL-DATA.org