Re: Digging Deeper With Umlauts - Mark 14:22

  • mark.thunderson
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 11, 2006
      James Snapp wrote:

      > I can't think of any instances in which an umlaut may indicate a
      > variant that occurs as the first word of the immediately following
      > line. Maybe some others here could check for such occurrences.

      One instance of this leaps to mind in Mark 1:24 OIDAMEN (Sinaiticus) vs. OIDA
      (Vaticanus). Here the umlaut precedes the textual variant and corresponds to your
      criterion. See also the unusual instance of SOI (Sinaiticus) vs. SOU (Vaticanus) in the same
      line. Textual smoothy, perhaps?

      Mark Thunderson.

      > According to W. Willker's textual commentary, the umlaut is alongside
      > a line in B which reads
      >
      > LABETE TOUTO ESTIN
      >
      > so it seems very probable that the unlaut refers to the FAGETE
      > variant. Since AUTOIS would go with KAI EIPEN, it would be logical
      > to indicate a variant connected to KAI EIPEN by placing the umlaut
      > alongside the line with KAI EIPEN, rather than alongside the
      > following line.
      >
      > Of course there is no guarantee that the person who added the umlauts
      > was always logical.
      >

      > Yours in Christ,
      >
      > James Snapp, Jr.
      > Curtisville Christian Church
      > Indiana (USA)
      > www.curtisvillechristian.org/BasicTC.html

    • James Snapp, Jr.
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 11, 2006
        Mark Thunderson,

        Maybe. That adds some tentativeness. But, as I look at Swanson, it
        occurs to me that the evidence in Mk. 1:24 might itself be tenuous:
        how do we know that the unlaut was not intended to indicate the
        transposition as displayed in C, or the addition of WDE as displayed
        in W?

        Does anyone know what percentage of umlaut-occurrances are capable of
        being identified with known transpositions?

      • Mark Thunderson
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 13, 2006
          Hello:

          With respect to the umlauts in Vaticanus, I vaguely
          remember reading somewhere that the ink used is the
          same brownish ink as the main text prior to the
          "refreshing" (which, again, if I remember correctly,
          was done in the 12th century). Can anyone verify
          that the ink used to place the umlauts is the same as
          the main text of Vaticanus?

          Mark Thunderson.

          http://new.mail.yahoo.com
        • James Snapp, Jr.
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 14, 2006
            Mark Thunderson:

            Yes; the umlauts were made with the same apricot-colored ink that the
            text was written in. P. B. Payne goes into some detail to emphasize
            this point in the course of one of his essays about the umlauts,
            which are accessible online at Wieland's page about Vaticanus.

            Just because the umlauts and the text were written with the same kind
            of ink does not force the conclusion that the umlauts and the text
            were written by the same person, or even at the same place, though.
            It may have been a commonplace ink at the time.

            Does anyone know of any other MSS with apricot-tinted ink?