Re: [textualcriticism] Melagria

  • Jean G. Valentin
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 28, 2006
      Dear brother Filotheu,
      There is indeed a manuscript... in Arabic! In Mark 1.6, a corrector of Sinai
      Arabic 106 has replaced the "normal" text (locusts and wild honey) by
      "blades from the trees and herbs" (at.râf min a$-$ajar wa-'ah.$î$ - $ being
      the letter shin). The manuscript dates from 1056 and is one of the oldest of
      the "Melkite Arabic version of the XIth century". As to the corrector, I
      can't propose a date for him, but indeed he is probably motivated by ascetic
      theology... or corrects according to a Greek or Syriac manuscript that has
      the same text. I've always wondered!
      For more on this Arabic version, see my inventary of Arabic Gospel
      manuscript in Le Muséon of 2003, p.415-477. The melkite version of the XIth
      century, of which I'm prepairing an edition according to its oldest
      manuscript, is introduced on p. 446-458. It probably has an old syriac
      Vorlage.
      Let's go on with this problem of melagria, quite interesting for me too!
      (and greetings to you Gie!)
      Jean Valentin

      --
      Jean Valentin - Bruxelles - Belgique
      jgvalentin@...

      "Et bien que je ne prétende pas comprendre,
      Je continuerai à étudier jusqu'à la fin"

      (Sutra du retour à la nature originelle -
      texte chrétien chinois - VIIIe siècle)