Re: [textualcriticism] asterisk in John 14:26 (NA27)?

  • Peter M. Head
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006
      It is a marker for the Eusebian section in the inner margin of the
      NA27. When the new section begins in the middle of a line (sometimes
      in the middle of a verse) it is marked with this asterisk.

      This is mentioned on p79* of my edition of NA27 (it is actually
      broader than just Eusebian sections; but is also used when ancient
      chapter divisions differ from that of the NA27; e.g. as noted there;
      1 Tim 5.4).

      Cheers

      Peter

      At 21:36 12/10/2006, you wrote:
      >There is rather large, bold asterisk at the beginning of John 14:26
      >in the NA27. I've looked all over the front matter in the NA27, and
      >I can't figure out what it represents. Any ideas?
      >
      >Thanks,
      >
      >Jim
      >

      >James M. Darlack
      >Assistant Librarian for Reference & Bibliographic Instruction
      >Goddard Library, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
      >130 Essex Street, South Hamilton, MA 01982
      ><http://www.gordonconwell.edu/library/hamilton>http://www.gordonconwell.edu/library/hamilton
      >
      >978.646.4004 Phone - 978.646.4567 Fax

      Peter M. Head, PhD
      Tyndale House
      36 Selwyn Gardens
      Cambridge CB3 9BA
      01223 566601
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006

        Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 3:36 PM
        Subject: [textualcriticism] asterisk in John 14:26 (NA27)?

        There is rather large, bold asterisk at the beginning of John 14:26 in the NA27 . I’ve looked all over the front matter in the NA27 , and I can’t figure out what it represents. Any ideas?

        Thanks,

        Jim

        Perhaps a footnote to explain "encourager/advocate/paraklete?

        Jack

      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006
          Durn!  And I thought I was too old to learn something new. :)

          Jack
          The asterisk indicates where chapter or verse divisions differ from the Eusebian sections.  See p. 79 of the introduction.

          george
          gfsomsel
          _________