Re: [textualcriticism] asterisk in John 14:26 (NA27)?

  • George F Somsel
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006
      The asterisk indicates where chapter or verse divisions differ from the Eusebian sections.  See p. 79 of the introduction.

      george
      gfsomsel
      _________

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006
        Jim, look at p. 79* of the Intro.  The mark you're seeing indicates "where the chapter or verse divisions of the present edition differ from those of the kephalaia or Eusebian sections (e.g., L 2,48; 1 Tim 5,4)."

        paz,

        Bill Warren

        On Oct 12, 2006, at 3:36 PM, Jim Darlack wrote:

        There is rather large, bold asterisk at the beginning of John 14:26 in theNA27. I’ve looked all over the front matter in the NA27, and I can’t figure out what it represents. Any ideas?

        Thanks,

        Jim

        James M. Darlack
        Assistant Librarian for Reference & Bibliographic Instruction
        Goddard Library, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
        130 Essex Street, South Hamilton, MA 01982
        http://www.gordonconwell.edu/library/hamilton
        978.646.4004 Phone - 978.646.4567 Fax

        =
      • Peter M. Head
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006
          It is a marker for the Eusebian section in the inner margin of the
          NA27. When the new section begins in the middle of a line (sometimes
          in the middle of a verse) it is marked with this asterisk.

          This is mentioned on p79* of my edition of NA27 (it is actually
          broader than just Eusebian sections; but is also used when ancient
          chapter divisions differ from that of the NA27; e.g. as noted there;
          1 Tim 5.4).

          Cheers

          Peter

          At 21:36 12/10/2006, you wrote:
          >There is rather large, bold asterisk at the beginning of John 14:26
          >in the NA27. I've looked all over the front matter in the NA27, and
          >I can't figure out what it represents. Any ideas?
          >
          >Thanks,
          >
          >Jim
          >

          >James M. Darlack
          >Assistant Librarian for Reference & Bibliographic Instruction
          >Goddard Library, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
          >130 Essex Street, South Hamilton, MA 01982
          ><http://www.gordonconwell.edu/library/hamilton>http://www.gordonconwell.edu/library/hamilton
          >
          >978.646.4004 Phone - 978.646.4567 Fax

          Peter M. Head, PhD
          Tyndale House
          36 Selwyn Gardens
          Cambridge CB3 9BA
          01223 566601
        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006

            Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 3:36 PM

            There is rather large, bold asterisk at the beginning of John 14:26 in the NA27 . I’ve looked all over the front matter in the NA27 , and I can’t figure out what it represents. Any ideas?

            Thanks,

            Jim

            Perhaps a footnote to explain "encourager/advocate/paraklete?

            Jack

          • Jack Kilmon
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006
              Durn!  And I thought I was too old to learn something new. :)

              Jack