asterisk in John 14:26 (NA27)?

  • Jim Darlack
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006

      There is rather large, bold asterisk at the beginning of John 14:26 in the NA27 . I’ve looked all over the front matter in the NA27 , and I can’t figure out what it represents. Any ideas?

      Thanks,

      Jim

      James M. Darlack
      Assistant Librarian for Reference & Bibliographic Instruction
      Goddard Library, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
      130 Essex Street , South Hamilton , MA 01982
      http://www.gordonconwell.edu/library/hamilton
      978.646.4004 Phone - 978.646.4567 Fax

    • George F Somsel
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006
        The asterisk indicates where chapter or verse divisions differ from the Eusebian sections.  See p. 79 of the introduction.

        george
        gfsomsel
        _________

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006
          Jim, look at p. 79* of the Intro.  The mark you're seeing indicates "where the chapter or verse divisions of the present edition differ from those of the kephalaia or Eusebian sections (e.g., L 2,48; 1 Tim 5,4)."

          paz,

          Bill Warren

          On Oct 12, 2006, at 3:36 PM, Jim Darlack wrote:

          There is rather large, bold asterisk at the beginning of John 14:26 in theNA27. I’ve looked all over the front matter in the NA27, and I can’t figure out what it represents. Any ideas?

          Thanks,

          Jim

          James M. Darlack
          Assistant Librarian for Reference & Bibliographic Instruction
          Goddard Library, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
          130 Essex Street, South Hamilton, MA 01982
          http://www.gordonconwell.edu/library/hamilton
          978.646.4004 Phone - 978.646.4567 Fax

          =
        • Peter M. Head
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006
            It is a marker for the Eusebian section in the inner margin of the
            NA27. When the new section begins in the middle of a line (sometimes
            in the middle of a verse) it is marked with this asterisk.

            This is mentioned on p79* of my edition of NA27 (it is actually
            broader than just Eusebian sections; but is also used when ancient
            chapter divisions differ from that of the NA27; e.g. as noted there;
            1 Tim 5.4).

            Cheers

            Peter

            At 21:36 12/10/2006, you wrote:
            >There is rather large, bold asterisk at the beginning of John 14:26
            >in the NA27. I've looked all over the front matter in the NA27, and
            >I can't figure out what it represents. Any ideas?
            >
            >Thanks,
            >
            >Jim
            >

            >James M. Darlack
            >Assistant Librarian for Reference & Bibliographic Instruction
            >Goddard Library, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
            >130 Essex Street, South Hamilton, MA 01982
            ><http://www.gordonconwell.edu/library/hamilton>http://www.gordonconwell.edu/library/hamilton
            >
            >978.646.4004 Phone - 978.646.4567 Fax

            Peter M. Head, PhD
            Tyndale House
            36 Selwyn Gardens
            Cambridge CB3 9BA
            01223 566601
          • Jack Kilmon
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006

              Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 3:36 PM

              There is rather large, bold asterisk at the beginning of John 14:26 in the NA27 . I’ve looked all over the front matter in the NA27 , and I can’t figure out what it represents. Any ideas?

              Thanks,

              Jim

              Perhaps a footnote to explain "encourager/advocate/paraklete?

              Jack

            • Jack Kilmon
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 12, 2006
                Durn!  And I thought I was too old to learn something new. :)

                Jack