RE: [textualcriticism] Clement of Alexandria

  • Bart Ehrman
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2006

          There have been numerous studies of Clement’s text since Barnard, some published  (M. Mees, Die Zitate aud dem Neuen Testament bei Clemens von Alexandrien,) and other’s not (1956 dissertation at Yale by Rueben Swanson and 1966 dissertation at Princeton Seminary by James Brooks).  The most recent full and compelling study has been by Carl Cosaert, at UNC-Chapel Hill; Cosaert provides a complete listing of citations, collations against a range of important textual witnesses, and a definitive quantitative analysis backed up with a group profile method.  I anticipate that it will be published in the Text of the NT in the Greek Fathers series edited by Michael Holmes.

          I assume both Carl and Mike are on this list: they can give you all the details!

      -- Bart Ehrman

      Bart D. Ehrman

      James A. Gray Professor

      Department  of Religious Studies