Clement of Alexandria

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2006
      Clement of Alexandria is usually cited as a witness to the Western
      text of the Gospels, a claim going back to Barnard in 1899.

      However I was studying the text of the 'rich young ruler' passage
      quoted in 'The Rich Mans Salvation' and noted that it seemed to
      agree with the Caesarean text as much as the Western.

      Barnard of course was writing before the Caesarean text was
      discover/postulated. Has any work been done specifically to
      investigate whether Clement in the Gospels is closer to the
      Western or Caesarean text ?

      Andrew Criddle
    • William Warren
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2006
        Andrew, others may have some info more "at-hand" on this, but I had a student do some work related to this a few years ago and can look over that later this week.  If you don't get the info you need before that, either I'll send you some or remind me and I'll get it to you.

        paz,

        Bill Warren

        On Oct 7, 2006, at 2:06 PM, sarban wrote:

        Clement of Alexandria is usually cited as a witness to the Western
        text of the Gospels, a claim going back to Barnard in 1899.

        However I was studying the text of the 'rich young ruler' passage
        quoted in 'The Rich Mans Salvation' and noted that it seemed to
        agree with the Caesarean text as much as the Western.

        Barnard of course was writing before the Caesarean text was
        discover/postulated. Has any work been done specifically to
        investigate whether Clement in the Gospels is closer to the
        Western or Caesarean text ?

        Andrew Criddle

        =
      • Bart Ehrman
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2006

              There have been numerous studies of Clement’s text since Barnard, some published  (M. Mees, Die Zitate aud dem Neuen Testament bei Clemens von Alexandrien,) and other’s not (1956 dissertation at Yale by Rueben Swanson and 1966 dissertation at Princeton Seminary by James Brooks).  The most recent full and compelling study has been by Carl Cosaert, at UNC-Chapel Hill; Cosaert provides a complete listing of citations, collations against a range of important textual witnesses, and a definitive quantitative analysis backed up with a group profile method.  I anticipate that it will be published in the Text of the NT in the Greek Fathers series edited by Michael Holmes.

              I assume both Carl and Mike are on this list: they can give you all the details!

          -- Bart Ehrman

          Bart D. Ehrman

          James A. Gray Professor

          Department  of Religious Studies