Re: Codex Vaticanus

  • Austin Alexander
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
      Dr. Wallace,

      I don't know if this would help, but my friend did a WorldCat search and found that the University of Pennsylvania may have volume 2:
      http://www.worldcatlibraries.org/oclc/63640869

      Perhaps they would allow CSNTM to borrow their copy.

      Sincerely,

      Austin

      --
      Austin J. Alexander, B.A. (CSU)
      M.A.B.L., candidate, (GCTS)
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 4, 2006
        Thanks for sending the info on the facsimile of Vaticanus at UPenn. Generally speaking, unless we have direct contact with a school already initiated (by the tc-list, for example), it's fairly difficult to get it to release its facsimiles to CSNTM. Some universities, in fact, will simply not allow outsiders to take photographs of any portion of their collection, even if done for free and the third party gives DVDs to the institute! This is one of the difficulties that CSNTM has had: getting permission, especially from American universities. One Ivy League school wanted to outsource the digital photography of their four Greek New Testament manuscripts, then charge CSNTM $12,000 for the photos--even after we said we would come and shoot the MSS at no charge to them. And the quality of the photos would be approximately one fourth as good as what we can produce.

        I would like to solicit the aid of the tc-listers for getting permissions to CSNTM. I will be taking my sabbatical in two years and can spend virtually the entire year traveling and photographing manuscripts. If you have contacts with institutes that possess some of our sacred Christian documents, and feel that you can have an influence on the institutes, please contact me off-list. Since our goal is to post every image that we are allowed to post (and to make available for loan all other images), what CSNTM is doing will be of immediate service to the academic community. It's a win-win situation, but we could use your help in getting some of these projects going. We already have several in the hopper, but are trying to make plans for the next three years right now.

        As for UPenn, if any on the list are on faculty there, and if you are interested in helping us, we would appreciate it if you would pave the way for us to get the Vaticanus facsimile to photograph.

        Sincerely,

        Daniel B. Wallace
        Executive Director

        ----- End Original Message -----