Which edition of W-H’s “Introduction” should I buy?

  • Peter Gurry
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30 9:27 PM
      I'm looking to buy Westcott & Hort's Introduction to the New Testament in the Original Greek but I'm confused about the two editions I see on Amazon. The first was published in 2003 by Wipf & Stock but is only 220 pages according to Amazon and sells new for $40. The second edition is published by Hendrickson, is 544 pages long, and sells used for $25. Is there a reason for these discrepancies? Is the Wipf & Stock edition condensed or edited? Is one better than the other? (I'm assuming the longer is better.)
    • George F Somsel
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
        I think you must be looking at a different book on the  W & S edition since their own website lists it at 544 pp.

        george
        gfsomsel
        _________

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
          The original, which I have before me (1882), has
          XXXI + 324 pages + 173 pages appendix, which sums up to 528
          pages.

          The 324 main pages are also available online at:

          http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/Ebind/docs/TC/WH1881/

          mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
        • Peter Gurry
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
            It must be a typo on Amazon because the ISBN number on Amazon is the same as the ISBN on the Wipf & Stock website.

            -------------------
            I think you must be looking at a different book on the W & S edition since their own website lists it at 544 pp.

            http://www.wipfandstock.com/bookStore.cfm?bookID=110&do=detail

            george
            gfsomsel
          • Kevin W. Woodruff
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2006
              Peter:

              I have an edition of Westcott and Hort done by Hendrickson in 1988 (ISBN: 0913573949). The discrepency may be due to the fact that the Hendrickson edition has an Appendix with Notes on Selected Readings that is numbered separately from the body of the book. The Introduction is pages i-xxxii (Preliminary matter), the book proper is pages 1-324, and the appendix (Notes on Selected Readings) is 1-188. The Wipf and Stock editions are always a  lot more expensive because they keep things in print that other publishers don't have. My counsel would be get the Hendrickson edition

              Library Director/Reference Librarian, Assistant Professor of Bible, Greek, Theological Bibliography and Research
              Cierpke@... http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm