Re: [textualcriticism] pericope de adultera and stemmatics

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 60 , Dec 7, 2004
      At 09:21 PM 12/7/2004 +0000, sarban wrote:
      >However the apparent absence of the pericope in codex Alexandrinus
      >and its presence with obelisks IIUC in Codex Basiliensis (E)
      >together with its absence from the immediate precursor of the
      >Byzantine text, may indicate that the very early Byzantine text did
      >not contain the pericope.

      I think that probably right. In fact, the monolithicness of
      the Byzantine text disappears in the pericope, and it divides
      into a number of different textual groups in the Byzantine
      manuscripts. That fact to me indicates to me multiple points
      of entry of the text within the Byzantines.

      Wieland has a particularly good overview of the evidence at
      http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/TC-John-PA.pdf

      Stephen Carlson
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
    • Daniel
      Message 60 of 60 , Oct 15, 2008
        Malcomb wrote:
        << One final note, the pericope presupposes that the Jews of Jesus'
        ministry on earth had the authority to kill. This [is refuted]
        elsewhere in the Gospel narrative.>>

        There are a couple of problems with this assertion.

        1) The text specifically says that this was a setup by the Scribes
        and/or Pharisees. It should have been a lose/lose proposition for
        Jesus: if he said "stone her," he would be in trouble with the Romans
        for instigating a lynching, as alluded to in 18:31. If he said "free
        her," he would be seen as "soft on crime" and loose popular support.
        They did not, of course, forsee the third option, which made them out
        to be the losers instead. But no authority under ROMAN law to execute
        was ever claimed; only under MOSAIC law.

        2) Lynchings by stoning did in fact occur during that era, as seen by
        the examples of Stephen in Acts 7 and James in the History of
        Hegesippus.