RE: [textualcriticism] pericope de adultera and stemmatics

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 60 , Dec 7, 2004
      At 03:56 PM 12/7/2004 +0100, Wieland Willker wrote:
      >Andrew Criddle wrote:
      >> If the history of the early text proposed for Mark by
      >> Stephen Carlson on the basis of stemmatics is
      >> applicable to John then this may throw light on the
      >> problem.
      >
      >A stemma of John 4 can be found here:
      >http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/hypotyposeis/2003_11_16_arch.html
      >
      >mind possible wrap.

      The wrap should be less of a problem here at:

      http://www.hypotyposeis.org/weblog/2003/11/proposed-stemma-for-john-4.html

      Note that the John 4 stemma does not present the Byzantine text
      in this part of John as a mixture of two different texts. I've
      also improved my program since then, so perhaps I ought to rerun
      it on the John 4 data to see if anything differs.

      Stephen Carlson
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
    • Daniel
      Message 60 of 60 , Oct 15, 2008
        Malcomb wrote:
        << One final note, the pericope presupposes that the Jews of Jesus'
        ministry on earth had the authority to kill. This [is refuted]
        elsewhere in the Gospel narrative.>>

        There are a couple of problems with this assertion.

        1) The text specifically says that this was a setup by the Scribes
        and/or Pharisees. It should have been a lose/lose proposition for
        Jesus: if he said "stone her," he would be in trouble with the Romans
        for instigating a lynching, as alluded to in 18:31. If he said "free
        her," he would be seen as "soft on crime" and loose popular support.
        They did not, of course, forsee the third option, which made them out
        to be the losers instead. But no authority under ROMAN law to execute
        was ever claimed; only under MOSAIC law.

        2) Lynchings by stoning did in fact occur during that era, as seen by
        the examples of Stephen in Acts 7 and James in the History of
        Hegesippus.