Online Text-Types Debate

  • James Snapp, Jr.
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2006
      Wieland and friends,

      During the past month, Tim Warner and I engaged in a spirited
      discussion about text-types. Tim essentially advocated the
      Byzantine Text, occasionally overruled by consistent patristic
      evidence, while I advocated an eclectic approach, made distinct from
      Hort's approach by the premise that a Proto-Byzantine Text is
      embedded in the Byzantine Text. Along the way, we each develop
      different ideas about the transmission-history of the NT text, and
      discuss specific variants.

      After about 50 posts, the debate has reached its conclusion. It can
      be read at the Pristine Faith Restoration Society forums (the main
      site is www.pfrs.org ), at
      http://p214.ezboard.com/fthechristiancafefrm32 . Between the
      opening and closing statements, the discussion takes the form of
      several sub-discussions. (It's currently labeled as being about
      translations, but it's really about text-types and transmission-
      history.)

      I am confident that the Warner-Snapp Debate on Text-types will be
      helpful to those who would like to see the strengths and weaknesses
      of the opposing views represented by brother Warner and myself.

      Curtisville Christian Church
      Indiana (USA)