Re: early Buddhist texts

  • bhikkhu santi
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 2006
      Dear Wieland,

      thankyou very much for this post. I looked briefly at the links you sent me, they look like just what I need. It will take me quite some time though to read through them thoroughly and then I'll probably be back with more questions.

      Thankyou very much,
      Bhante Santi.

      -----------

      It's about 1/3 about method. 1/3 is history and 1/3 is
      sources. Most Biblical TC books are like this.

      Perhaps you should read:

      "Non Biblical TC":
      http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn/NonBiblical.html

      "Canons of Criticism":
      http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn/CanonsOfCrit.html

      Then try to apply this to your special problem.

      The question is how deep you want to dig into this.
      How many words has the text?
      Is it possible to do a collation of all texts in a
      reasonable time?
      Can you sort out later texts beforehand?

      If, as one could guess from your description, the text has a
      longer history of oral transmission you should also take
      this into account:
      http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn/OralTrans.html

      --
      Santi Forest Monastery,