"Gospel of Judas"

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2004
      The Gospel of Judas surfaces gradually. Now the first image appeared.
      Have a look at:
      http://www.michelvanrijn.nl/artnews/artnws.htm

      It is quite a ballyhoo, but C. Hedrick confirmed that the image is
      authentic and that it is his translation.
      He also says that it "appears to be the same seen by Irenaeus in the
      second century."
      Irenaeus writes about it in "Against Heresies", Chapter XXXI - Doctrines
      of the Cainites:

      "Others again declare that Cain derived his being from the Power above,
      and acknowledge that Esau, Korah, the Sodomites, and all such persons,
      are related to themselves. On this account, they add, they have been
      assailed by the Creator, yet no one of them has suffered injury. For
      Sophia was in the habit of carrying off that which belonged to her from
      them to herself. They declare that Judas the traitor was thoroughly
      acquainted with these things, and that he alone, knowing the truth as no
      others did, accomplished the mystery of the betrayal; by him all things,
      both earthly and heavenly, were thus thrown into confusion. They produce
      a fictitious history of this kind, which they style the Gospel of
      Judas."

      It's curious that the Gospel ends with "and he delivered him over to
      them". Rather unusual as an end ...
      But if it is really the Gospel mentioned by Irenaeus, this could explain
      it. That the "theme" is more how Judas throws "all things, both earthly
      and heavenly, into confusion" and not so much the deeds and sayings of
      Jesus. But to call it "EUAGGELION" then, appears 'euphemistic'.

      The webpage says that the finding consists of the following:
      (1) the Epistle of Peter to Philip
      (2) the First Apocalypse of James
      ([both known from the Nag Hammadi codices already]
      (3) 31 folios of the Gospel of Judas

      According to Hedrick he is confident that 6 pages belong to the Gospel
      of Judas, on the other pages he is not certain.
      It is in Sahidic from about the 4th or 5th CE, and said to be found in
      Megaga, Upper Egypt (present-day Behnasa).

      It is also said that Rodolphe Kasser is planning a publication.

      Image:
      http://www.michelvanrijn.nl/artnews/judasgospel1.htm
      Hedrick's (provisional) translation:
      http://www.michelvanrijn.nl/artnews/judasgospel2.htm

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2004
        Andrew Bernhard wrote:
        > > It's curious that the Gospel ends with "and he
        > > delivered him over to them". Rather unusual as an end
        > Or perhaps the manuscript is incomplete?

        As you can see from the image, the Gospel ends thus.

        > Any word on the contents of this Gospel - is it in a
        > "gnostic" genre, dealing with aeons, etc., or does it
        > more closely resemble the New Testament gospels?

        Hedrick confirms that it is the one Irenaeus saw, so it must be
        something to these lines (see the Irenaeus quote in my previous mail on
        the subject).

        Hedrick wants to publish his material in the Journal of Coptic Studies
        in 2006.

        mailto:willker@...-bremen.de