Re: Try this...

  • mydogregae01
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
      Having spent a littel time examining this "Google" book resource, I am
      left saddened. This could have been a great asset to TC listers, but
      most of the material that is still useful costs, it is not free. Many
      of the downloads are corrupted. Tattum's Egyptian grammar has about
      every third page blank, Curtuis's etymology is corrupted, Hug's work
      costs, and compared to the great resolution of the CSNTM, these
      resolutions (also often just 1 bit data) are POOR. Vincent's "History
      of TC.." was okay, but had about 28 duplicated pages at the front,
      most blank. PDF files can be very very sharp, the free one's here are
      not. DjVu files are typically equal to the better PDF resolutions, but
      this site does not use DjVu.

      There is however, some useful materials! I got several readable Arabic
      grammars, an Ethiopic grammar, Wilson's Syriac grammar, et al. Did
      anyone get the English-Armenian dictionary? If so please let me know!
      My download was not good of this dictionary. Or does anyone know of a
      digital copy of a good Armenian dictionary??

      Apparently Google is not quality conscious herein! Maybe they will
      improve with time, but for the free downloads, I suspect they will not
      seek to improve. Still, it is a useable resource, but not nearly as
      powerful as it could/should have been. :-(

      Mr. Gary S. Dykes
      www.biblical-data.org
    • David Robert Palmer
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
        I should mention where I got my Scrivener pdfs.

        I do not know who scanned them, but I got them from Mark Langley, pastor of
        Reformed Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas. He nowhere restricts
        re-distribution of them, so I figured since I had the bandwidth to upload
        them, and webspace, I would offer them for download.

        I paid $9.99 US each for the CDs, as well as several other great CDs. His
        shipping service is inexpensive.

        He offers many other titles surely of interest to members of this
        list. His whole list is here:

        http://www.solascripturapublishing.com/
      • David Robert Palmer
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
          I emailed Mark Langley yesterday in order to clarify the provenance of
          these Scriverner PDFs I have made downloadable from my website.

          He stated to me by email today that he is the one who scanned them, from
          his copy, and that I am free to do with them as I wish, as there is no
          copyright.

          David Robert Palmer

        • goranson@duke.edu
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 9, 2006
            The Washington Post announces a major exhibit of early Bible manuscripts:
            http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/08/AR2006090800424.html

            best
            Stephen Goranson
            http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
          • yennifmit
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 9, 2006
              There will be a special session devoted to the Freer MSS at this
              year's SBL in Washington, DC, USA. Larry Hurtado organised and edited
              a book on the Freer MSS which should be published in time for the SBL
              meeting. I think that Prof. Hurtado had something to do with reminding
              the Smithsonian that they had one of the oldest gospel codices in the
              world languishing in their vaults. I believe that he encouraged them
              to do something on the centenary of the Freer MSS acquisition by
              Freer. Of course, I might have my wires crossed...

              On the Washington Post article, I wouldn't have called Tischendorf and
              the monks of St Catherine's "a group of excavators."

              Best

              Tim Finney