Re: [textualcriticism] Re: Try this...

  • David Robert Palmer
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2006
      Roger,

      Whether or not you solve the Google problem, you may download the Scrivener
      Sinaticus collation from my site with this direct link. It is not the
      Google-marked version. 8.62 MB.

      http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/CollatCdxSinait.pdf

      Also, Scrivener's collation of Codex Augiensis, along with 50 other mss.,
      also a pdf. 30.3 MB.

      http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/ScrivCdxAugiensis.pdf

      While you are at it, I recommend downloading some Unicode fonts useful for
      New Testament textual criticism. I did a fair amount of searching and
      testing of many free Unicode fonts, and these are the best for free in my
      opinion:

      Doulos SIL for critical apparatus and entire IPA, 1.1 MB:

      http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/DoulosSIL.zip

      http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/ttf-sil-doulous.deb

      GentiumAlt font for Greek, IPA (has the entire IPA except 5 tone bars), and
      is a decent font just for every-day English/Latin; 9 MB; Debian package
      much smaller.

      http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/gentium102.zip

      http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/gentium102.sit

      http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/ttf-sil-gentium.deb

      Ezra SIL for Hebrew, this being the clearest free Hebrew font by
      far. Though Cardo98 is also good for all three, Greek, Hebrew and critical
      apparatus. 3.3 MB.

      http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/ezrsil20.zip

      http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/ezrsil20.tar.gz

      At 02:49 PM 9/1/2006 +0000, you wrote:

      >--- In
      ><mailto:textualcriticism%40yahoogroups.com>textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com,
      >John McChesney-Young
      ><panis@...> wrote:
      >_A
      > > Full Collation of the Codex Sinaiticus with the Received Text of the
      > > New Testament_ (1864) by Scrivener, which is available as a 10.4MB
      > > download.
      > >
      > > <http://tinyurl.com/lnuna>http://tinyurl.com/lnuna
      > >
      > > Unfortunately, I believe Google restricts access - to what extent
      >I'm
      > > not sure - to US-based IP addresses, so this might prove to be an
      > > obstacle to list members in Europe and elsewhere, although it's a
      > > barrier which I know has been surmounted by at least one UK member
      >of
      > > another list I'm on.
      >
      >No download is visible to me (in the UK) -- can others see the PDF
      >download?
      >
      >I'd be interested to know how UK people can avoid this problem.
      >
      >All the best,
      >
      >Roger Pearse

    • mr.scrivener
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 2, 2006
        More goodies for you!
        Ever wanted to read T.K. Abbott & Ferrar's (1877) introduction to
        Family 13? Its on the net but scanned page by page in an inconvenient
        form.

        So I reformated those scans into a fastloading, readable long strip,
        made for your browser. Now you can read it in comfort online, copy
        out what you want.

        http://cadesign.webworkercanada.com/pa/FAM13/family13.html

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "ivanyyong" <ivanyyong@...>
        wrote:

        >... but if Google actually follows through on this, it could
        >dramatically
        > speed up the research process. I for one will be glad.
        >
        > Would anyone else agree that it would be useful for everyone to
        >have on a webpage a list
        > of text-critical works with direct links to their associated
        >records on Google Books? It
        > could be a collaborative effort; just email back any suggestions
        >with the associated URL.
        > We can put this list of works on the CSNTM site.
        >
        > Ivan

      • mydogregae01
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
          Having spent a littel time examining this "Google" book resource, I am
          left saddened. This could have been a great asset to TC listers, but
          most of the material that is still useful costs, it is not free. Many
          of the downloads are corrupted. Tattum's Egyptian grammar has about
          every third page blank, Curtuis's etymology is corrupted, Hug's work
          costs, and compared to the great resolution of the CSNTM, these
          resolutions (also often just 1 bit data) are POOR. Vincent's "History
          of TC.." was okay, but had about 28 duplicated pages at the front,
          most blank. PDF files can be very very sharp, the free one's here are
          not. DjVu files are typically equal to the better PDF resolutions, but
          this site does not use DjVu.

          There is however, some useful materials! I got several readable Arabic
          grammars, an Ethiopic grammar, Wilson's Syriac grammar, et al. Did
          anyone get the English-Armenian dictionary? If so please let me know!
          My download was not good of this dictionary. Or does anyone know of a
          digital copy of a good Armenian dictionary??

          Apparently Google is not quality conscious herein! Maybe they will
          improve with time, but for the free downloads, I suspect they will not
          seek to improve. Still, it is a useable resource, but not nearly as
          powerful as it could/should have been. :-(

          Mr. Gary S. Dykes
          www.biblical-data.org
        • David Robert Palmer
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
            I should mention where I got my Scrivener pdfs.

            I do not know who scanned them, but I got them from Mark Langley, pastor of
            Reformed Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas. He nowhere restricts
            re-distribution of them, so I figured since I had the bandwidth to upload
            them, and webspace, I would offer them for download.

            I paid $9.99 US each for the CDs, as well as several other great CDs. His
            shipping service is inexpensive.

            He offers many other titles surely of interest to members of this
            list. His whole list is here:

            http://www.solascripturapublishing.com/
          • David Robert Palmer
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
              I emailed Mark Langley yesterday in order to clarify the provenance of
              these Scriverner PDFs I have made downloadable from my website.

              He stated to me by email today that he is the one who scanned them, from
              his copy, and that I am free to do with them as I wish, as there is no
              copyright.

              David Robert Palmer

            • goranson@duke.edu
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 9, 2006
                The Washington Post announces a major exhibit of early Bible manuscripts:
                http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/08/AR2006090800424.html

                best
                Stephen Goranson
                http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
              • yennifmit
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 9, 2006
                  There will be a special session devoted to the Freer MSS at this
                  year's SBL in Washington, DC, USA. Larry Hurtado organised and edited
                  a book on the Freer MSS which should be published in time for the SBL
                  meeting. I think that Prof. Hurtado had something to do with reminding
                  the Smithsonian that they had one of the oldest gospel codices in the
                  world languishing in their vaults. I believe that he encouraged them
                  to do something on the centenary of the Freer MSS acquisition by
                  Freer. Of course, I might have my wires crossed...

                  On the Washington Post article, I wouldn't have called Tischendorf and
                  the monks of St Catherine's "a group of excavators."

                  Best

                  Tim Finney