Re: Try this...HORT on Jn 8:1-11

  • mr.scrivener
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2006
      Being constantly frustrated with interference from the clueless,
      preventing access to freely available and uncopyrighted material, I
      have gathered such items myself, and posted a few on the internet:

      For Hort's 8 pages on the Pericope de Adultera, go here:

      http://cadesign.webworkercanada.com/pa/TEXT/Hort.pdf

      For Samuel Davidson' internal evidence on John 8:1-11 go here:

      http://cadesign.webworkercanada.com/pa/TEXT/Davidson.pdf

      And, remember, you're welcome,
      because I was.

      Unusually cheerful today,
      Eeyore

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "ivanyyong" <ivanyyong@...>
      wrote:

      > I've toyed with this for a day or two now and have seen, in
      addition to the Migne volumes,
      > works by some of the textual critics of the past, including
      Tischendorf, Westcott/Hort, etc.
      > Unfortunately, not Tischendorf's 8th or Westcott/Hort's 1881, but
      the possibility is there.

      > No doubt there will still be those who prefer their first contact
      with research sources to be
      > on paper in the library, but if Google actually follows through on
      this, it could dramatically
      > speed up the research process. I for one will be glad.
      >
      > Would anyone else agree that it would be useful for everyone to
      have on a webpage a list
      > of text-critical works with direct links to their associated
      records on Google Books? It
      > could be a collaborative effort; just email back any suggestions
      with the associated URL.
      > We can put this list of works on the CSNTM site.
      >
      > Ivan
      >

      > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, goranson@ wrote:
      > >
      > > I agree that the google book bibliographic data is poor, often
      not just sparse
      > > but mistaken. For example, serial runs are often all given with
      the first year
      > > of publication, regardless which volume is displayed. Also, the
      > > combinations of
      > > scans sometimes cutting off text, or poor quality, or the text-
      reading
      > > software,
      > > results in inaccurate text readings, so the keyword search misses
      words
      > > that are
      > > there and claims words that are not there, upon inspection of the
      image.
      > > Sometimes these problems can be worked around. For example, I was
      looking for
      > > the earliest uses of words (Egyptology, Archaeology, etc.), uses
      earlier than
      > > those in the Oxford English Dictionary (and found them), but
      sometimes have to
      > > try plan B. E.g., An obituary of an Egyptologist was cut off,
      giving only part
      > > of his name, but on figuring out who was meant, I searched again
      and found an
      > > earlier text with Egyptologist, though the keyword search misssed
      it. And, by
      > > checking the works of George Gliddon, who travelled P.T. Barnum-
      like, with an
      > > Egyptology show, found another keyword-search failed usage,
      though with the
      > > wrong book title and date given by google. (OT: Edgar Allen Poe,
      by the way,
      > > put Gliddon unflatteringly in his 1845 story "Some Words with a
      Mummy,"
      > > wherein
      > > a mummy in New Orleans is zapped with electricity, comes to life,
      and
      > > chats. In
      > > 1850 in Boston, Gliddon assembled a big crowd, with distinguished
      persons
      > > attending, to unwrap a mummy, one Gliddin declared, from
      hieroglyphics,
      > > to be a
      > > woman; a princess, the press announced. On unwrapping, it was
      plainly a man.

      > > Google books is fascinating.
      > >
      > > Stephen Goranson
      > > http://www.duke.edu/~goranson

    • David Robert Palmer
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2006
        Roger,

        Whether or not you solve the Google problem, you may download the Scrivener
        Sinaticus collation from my site with this direct link. It is not the
        Google-marked version. 8.62 MB.

        http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/CollatCdxSinait.pdf

        Also, Scrivener's collation of Codex Augiensis, along with 50 other mss.,
        also a pdf. 30.3 MB.

        http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/ScrivCdxAugiensis.pdf

        While you are at it, I recommend downloading some Unicode fonts useful for
        New Testament textual criticism. I did a fair amount of searching and
        testing of many free Unicode fonts, and these are the best for free in my
        opinion:

        Doulos SIL for critical apparatus and entire IPA, 1.1 MB:

        http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/DoulosSIL.zip

        http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/ttf-sil-doulous.deb

        GentiumAlt font for Greek, IPA (has the entire IPA except 5 tone bars), and
        is a decent font just for every-day English/Latin; 9 MB; Debian package
        much smaller.

        http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/gentium102.zip

        http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/gentium102.sit

        http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/ttf-sil-gentium.deb

        Ezra SIL for Hebrew, this being the clearest free Hebrew font by
        far. Though Cardo98 is also good for all three, Greek, Hebrew and critical
        apparatus. 3.3 MB.

        http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/ezrsil20.zip

        http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/ezrsil20.tar.gz

        At 02:49 PM 9/1/2006 +0000, you wrote:

        >--- In
        ><mailto:textualcriticism%40yahoogroups.com>textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com,
        >John McChesney-Young
        ><panis@...> wrote:
        >_A
        > > Full Collation of the Codex Sinaiticus with the Received Text of the
        > > New Testament_ (1864) by Scrivener, which is available as a 10.4MB
        > > download.
        > >
        > > <http://tinyurl.com/lnuna>http://tinyurl.com/lnuna
        > >
        > > Unfortunately, I believe Google restricts access - to what extent
        >I'm
        > > not sure - to US-based IP addresses, so this might prove to be an
        > > obstacle to list members in Europe and elsewhere, although it's a
        > > barrier which I know has been surmounted by at least one UK member
        >of
        > > another list I'm on.
        >
        >No download is visible to me (in the UK) -- can others see the PDF
        >download?
        >
        >I'd be interested to know how UK people can avoid this problem.
        >
        >All the best,
        >
        >Roger Pearse

      • mr.scrivener
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 2, 2006
          More goodies for you!
          Ever wanted to read T.K. Abbott & Ferrar's (1877) introduction to
          Family 13? Its on the net but scanned page by page in an inconvenient
          form.

          So I reformated those scans into a fastloading, readable long strip,
          made for your browser. Now you can read it in comfort online, copy
          out what you want.

          http://cadesign.webworkercanada.com/pa/FAM13/family13.html

          wrote:

          >... but if Google actually follows through on this, it could
          >dramatically
          > speed up the research process. I for one will be glad.
          >
          > Would anyone else agree that it would be useful for everyone to
          >have on a webpage a list
          > of text-critical works with direct links to their associated
          >records on Google Books? It
          > could be a collaborative effort; just email back any suggestions
          >with the associated URL.
          > We can put this list of works on the CSNTM site.
          >
          > Ivan

        • mydogregae01
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
            Having spent a littel time examining this "Google" book resource, I am
            left saddened. This could have been a great asset to TC listers, but
            most of the material that is still useful costs, it is not free. Many
            of the downloads are corrupted. Tattum's Egyptian grammar has about
            every third page blank, Curtuis's etymology is corrupted, Hug's work
            costs, and compared to the great resolution of the CSNTM, these
            resolutions (also often just 1 bit data) are POOR. Vincent's "History
            of TC.." was okay, but had about 28 duplicated pages at the front,
            most blank. PDF files can be very very sharp, the free one's here are
            not. DjVu files are typically equal to the better PDF resolutions, but
            this site does not use DjVu.

            There is however, some useful materials! I got several readable Arabic
            grammars, an Ethiopic grammar, Wilson's Syriac grammar, et al. Did
            anyone get the English-Armenian dictionary? If so please let me know!
            My download was not good of this dictionary. Or does anyone know of a
            digital copy of a good Armenian dictionary??

            Apparently Google is not quality conscious herein! Maybe they will
            improve with time, but for the free downloads, I suspect they will not
            seek to improve. Still, it is a useable resource, but not nearly as
            powerful as it could/should have been. :-(

            Mr. Gary S. Dykes
            www.biblical-data.org
          • David Robert Palmer
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
              I should mention where I got my Scrivener pdfs.

              I do not know who scanned them, but I got them from Mark Langley, pastor of
              Reformed Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas. He nowhere restricts
              re-distribution of them, so I figured since I had the bandwidth to upload
              them, and webspace, I would offer them for download.

              I paid $9.99 US each for the CDs, as well as several other great CDs. His
              shipping service is inexpensive.

              He offers many other titles surely of interest to members of this
              list. His whole list is here:

              http://www.solascripturapublishing.com/
            • David Robert Palmer
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
                I emailed Mark Langley yesterday in order to clarify the provenance of
                these Scriverner PDFs I have made downloadable from my website.

                He stated to me by email today that he is the one who scanned them, from
                his copy, and that I am free to do with them as I wish, as there is no
                copyright.

                David Robert Palmer

              • goranson@duke.edu
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 9, 2006
                  The Washington Post announces a major exhibit of early Bible manuscripts:
                  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/08/AR2006090800424.html

                  best
                  Stephen Goranson
                  http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
                • yennifmit
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 9, 2006
                    There will be a special session devoted to the Freer MSS at this
                    year's SBL in Washington, DC, USA. Larry Hurtado organised and edited
                    a book on the Freer MSS which should be published in time for the SBL
                    meeting. I think that Prof. Hurtado had something to do with reminding
                    the Smithsonian that they had one of the oldest gospel codices in the
                    world languishing in their vaults. I believe that he encouraged them
                    to do something on the centenary of the Freer MSS acquisition by
                    Freer. Of course, I might have my wires crossed...

                    On the Washington Post article, I wouldn't have called Tischendorf and
                    the monks of St Catherine's "a group of excavators."

                    Best

                    Tim Finney