Re: Try this...

  • Roger Pearse
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2006
      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, John McChesney-Young
      <panis@...> wrote:
      _A
      > Full Collation of the Codex Sinaiticus with the Received Text of the
      > New Testament_ (1864) by Scrivener, which is available as a 10.4MB
      > download.
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/lnuna
      >
      > Unfortunately, I believe Google restricts access - to what extent
      I'm
      > not sure - to US-based IP addresses, so this might prove to be an
      > obstacle to list members in Europe and elsewhere, although it's a
      > barrier which I know has been surmounted by at least one UK member
      of
      > another list I'm on.

      No download is visible to me (in the UK) -- can others see the PDF
      download?

      I'd be interested to know how UK people can avoid this problem.

      All the best,

      Roger Pearse
    • mr.scrivener
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2006
        Being constantly frustrated with interference from the clueless,
        preventing access to freely available and uncopyrighted material, I
        have gathered such items myself, and posted a few on the internet:

        For Hort's 8 pages on the Pericope de Adultera, go here:

        http://cadesign.webworkercanada.com/pa/TEXT/Hort.pdf

        For Samuel Davidson' internal evidence on John 8:1-11 go here:

        http://cadesign.webworkercanada.com/pa/TEXT/Davidson.pdf

        And, remember, you're welcome,
        because I was.

        Unusually cheerful today,
        Eeyore

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "ivanyyong" <ivanyyong@...>
        wrote:

        > I've toyed with this for a day or two now and have seen, in
        addition to the Migne volumes,
        > works by some of the textual critics of the past, including
        Tischendorf, Westcott/Hort, etc.
        > Unfortunately, not Tischendorf's 8th or Westcott/Hort's 1881, but
        the possibility is there.

        > No doubt there will still be those who prefer their first contact
        with research sources to be
        > on paper in the library, but if Google actually follows through on
        this, it could dramatically
        > speed up the research process. I for one will be glad.
        >
        > Would anyone else agree that it would be useful for everyone to
        have on a webpage a list
        > of text-critical works with direct links to their associated
        records on Google Books? It
        > could be a collaborative effort; just email back any suggestions
        with the associated URL.
        > We can put this list of works on the CSNTM site.
        >
        > Ivan
        >

        > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, goranson@ wrote:
        > >
        > > I agree that the google book bibliographic data is poor, often
        not just sparse
        > > but mistaken. For example, serial runs are often all given with
        the first year
        > > of publication, regardless which volume is displayed. Also, the
        > > combinations of
        > > scans sometimes cutting off text, or poor quality, or the text-
        reading
        > > software,
        > > results in inaccurate text readings, so the keyword search misses
        words
        > > that are
        > > there and claims words that are not there, upon inspection of the
        image.
        > > Sometimes these problems can be worked around. For example, I was
        looking for
        > > the earliest uses of words (Egyptology, Archaeology, etc.), uses
        earlier than
        > > those in the Oxford English Dictionary (and found them), but
        sometimes have to
        > > try plan B. E.g., An obituary of an Egyptologist was cut off,
        giving only part
        > > of his name, but on figuring out who was meant, I searched again
        and found an
        > > earlier text with Egyptologist, though the keyword search misssed
        it. And, by
        > > checking the works of George Gliddon, who travelled P.T. Barnum-
        like, with an
        > > Egyptology show, found another keyword-search failed usage,
        though with the
        > > wrong book title and date given by google. (OT: Edgar Allen Poe,
        by the way,
        > > put Gliddon unflatteringly in his 1845 story "Some Words with a
        Mummy,"
        > > wherein
        > > a mummy in New Orleans is zapped with electricity, comes to life,
        and
        > > chats. In
        > > 1850 in Boston, Gliddon assembled a big crowd, with distinguished
        persons
        > > attending, to unwrap a mummy, one Gliddin declared, from
        hieroglyphics,
        > > to be a
        > > woman; a princess, the press announced. On unwrapping, it was
        plainly a man.

        > > Google books is fascinating.
        > >
        > > Stephen Goranson
        > > http://www.duke.edu/~goranson

      • David Robert Palmer
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2006
          Roger,

          Whether or not you solve the Google problem, you may download the Scrivener
          Sinaticus collation from my site with this direct link. It is not the
          Google-marked version. 8.62 MB.

          http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/CollatCdxSinait.pdf

          Also, Scrivener's collation of Codex Augiensis, along with 50 other mss.,
          also a pdf. 30.3 MB.

          http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/ScrivCdxAugiensis.pdf

          While you are at it, I recommend downloading some Unicode fonts useful for
          New Testament textual criticism. I did a fair amount of searching and
          testing of many free Unicode fonts, and these are the best for free in my
          opinion:

          Doulos SIL for critical apparatus and entire IPA, 1.1 MB:

          http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/DoulosSIL.zip

          http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/ttf-sil-doulous.deb

          GentiumAlt font for Greek, IPA (has the entire IPA except 5 tone bars), and
          is a decent font just for every-day English/Latin; 9 MB; Debian package
          much smaller.

          http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/gentium102.zip

          http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/gentium102.sit

          http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/ttf-sil-gentium.deb

          Ezra SIL for Hebrew, this being the clearest free Hebrew font by
          far. Though Cardo98 is also good for all three, Greek, Hebrew and critical
          apparatus. 3.3 MB.

          http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/ezrsil20.zip

          http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/ezrsil20.tar.gz

          At 02:49 PM 9/1/2006 +0000, you wrote:

          >--- In
          ><mailto:textualcriticism%40yahoogroups.com>textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com,
          >John McChesney-Young
          ><panis@...> wrote:
          >_A
          > > Full Collation of the Codex Sinaiticus with the Received Text of the
          > > New Testament_ (1864) by Scrivener, which is available as a 10.4MB
          > > download.
          > >
          > > <http://tinyurl.com/lnuna>http://tinyurl.com/lnuna
          > >
          > > Unfortunately, I believe Google restricts access - to what extent
          >I'm
          > > not sure - to US-based IP addresses, so this might prove to be an
          > > obstacle to list members in Europe and elsewhere, although it's a
          > > barrier which I know has been surmounted by at least one UK member
          >of
          > > another list I'm on.
          >
          >No download is visible to me (in the UK) -- can others see the PDF
          >download?
          >
          >I'd be interested to know how UK people can avoid this problem.
          >
          >All the best,
          >
          >Roger Pearse

        • mr.scrivener
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 2, 2006
            More goodies for you!
            Ever wanted to read T.K. Abbott & Ferrar's (1877) introduction to
            Family 13? Its on the net but scanned page by page in an inconvenient
            form.

            So I reformated those scans into a fastloading, readable long strip,
            made for your browser. Now you can read it in comfort online, copy
            out what you want.

            http://cadesign.webworkercanada.com/pa/FAM13/family13.html

            wrote:

            >... but if Google actually follows through on this, it could
            >dramatically
            > speed up the research process. I for one will be glad.
            >
            > Would anyone else agree that it would be useful for everyone to
            >have on a webpage a list
            > of text-critical works with direct links to their associated
            >records on Google Books? It
            > could be a collaborative effort; just email back any suggestions
            >with the associated URL.
            > We can put this list of works on the CSNTM site.
            >
            > Ivan

          • mydogregae01
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
              Having spent a littel time examining this "Google" book resource, I am
              left saddened. This could have been a great asset to TC listers, but
              most of the material that is still useful costs, it is not free. Many
              of the downloads are corrupted. Tattum's Egyptian grammar has about
              every third page blank, Curtuis's etymology is corrupted, Hug's work
              costs, and compared to the great resolution of the CSNTM, these
              resolutions (also often just 1 bit data) are POOR. Vincent's "History
              of TC.." was okay, but had about 28 duplicated pages at the front,
              most blank. PDF files can be very very sharp, the free one's here are
              not. DjVu files are typically equal to the better PDF resolutions, but
              this site does not use DjVu.

              There is however, some useful materials! I got several readable Arabic
              grammars, an Ethiopic grammar, Wilson's Syriac grammar, et al. Did
              anyone get the English-Armenian dictionary? If so please let me know!
              My download was not good of this dictionary. Or does anyone know of a
              digital copy of a good Armenian dictionary??

              Apparently Google is not quality conscious herein! Maybe they will
              improve with time, but for the free downloads, I suspect they will not
              seek to improve. Still, it is a useable resource, but not nearly as
              powerful as it could/should have been. :-(

              Mr. Gary S. Dykes
              www.biblical-data.org
            • David Robert Palmer
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
                I should mention where I got my Scrivener pdfs.

                I do not know who scanned them, but I got them from Mark Langley, pastor of
                Reformed Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas. He nowhere restricts
                re-distribution of them, so I figured since I had the bandwidth to upload
                them, and webspace, I would offer them for download.

                I paid $9.99 US each for the CDs, as well as several other great CDs. His
                shipping service is inexpensive.

                He offers many other titles surely of interest to members of this
                list. His whole list is here:

                http://www.solascripturapublishing.com/
              • David Robert Palmer
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
                  I emailed Mark Langley yesterday in order to clarify the provenance of
                  these Scriverner PDFs I have made downloadable from my website.

                  He stated to me by email today that he is the one who scanned them, from
                  his copy, and that I am free to do with them as I wish, as there is no
                  copyright.

                  David Robert Palmer

                • goranson@duke.edu
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 9, 2006
                    The Washington Post announces a major exhibit of early Bible manuscripts:
                    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/08/AR2006090800424.html

                    best
                    Stephen Goranson
                    http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
                  • yennifmit
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 9, 2006
                      There will be a special session devoted to the Freer MSS at this
                      year's SBL in Washington, DC, USA. Larry Hurtado organised and edited
                      a book on the Freer MSS which should be published in time for the SBL
                      meeting. I think that Prof. Hurtado had something to do with reminding
                      the Smithsonian that they had one of the oldest gospel codices in the
                      world languishing in their vaults. I believe that he encouraged them
                      to do something on the centenary of the Freer MSS acquisition by
                      Freer. Of course, I might have my wires crossed...

                      On the Washington Post article, I wouldn't have called Tischendorf and
                      the monks of St Catherine's "a group of excavators."

                      Best

                      Tim Finney