Re: Try this...

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2006

      John McChesney-Young wrote:
      > Unfortunately, I believe Google restricts access - to what
      > extent I'm not sure - to US-based IP addresses, so this might
      > prove to be an obstacle to list members in Europe and
      > elsewhere

      In Europe one gets 5 pages of results. Only one TC relevant hit:
      Codex Montfortianus (Aland MS 61). This MS is interesting for Textus Receptus researchers for its inclusion of the three
      heavenly witnesses in 1 John 5,7.

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
    • goranson@duke.edu
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2006
        I agree that the google book bibliographic data is poor, often not just sparse
        but mistaken. For example, serial runs are often all given with the first year
        of publication, regardless which volume is displayed. Also, the
        combinations of
        scans sometimes cutting off text, or poor quality, or the text-reading
        software,
        results in inaccurate text readings, so the keyword search misses words
        that are
        there and claims words that are not there, upon inspection of the image.
        Sometimes these problems can be worked around. For example, I was looking for
        the earliest uses of words (Egyptology, Archaeology, etc.), uses earlier than
        those in the Oxford English Dictionary (and found them), but sometimes have to
        try plan B. E.g., An obituary of an Egyptologist was cut off, giving only part
        of his name, but on figuring out who was meant, I searched again and found an
        earlier text with Egyptologist, though the keyword search misssed it. And, by
        checking the works of George Gliddon, who travelled P.T. Barnum-like, with an
        Egyptology show, found another keyword-search failed usage, though with the
        wrong book title and date given by google. (OT: Edgar Allen Poe, by the way,
        put Gliddon unflatteringly in his 1845 story "Some Words with a Mummy,"
        wherein
        a mummy in New Orleans is zapped with electricity, comes to life, and
        chats. In
        1850 in Boston, Gliddon assembled a big crowd, with distinguished persons
        attending, to unwrap a mummy, one Gliddin declared, from hieroglyphics,
        to be a
        woman; a princess, the press announced. On unwrapping, it was plainly a man.

        Google books is fascinating.

        Stephen Goranson
        http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
      • ivanyyong
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2006
          I've toyed with this for a day or two now and have seen, in addition to the Migne volumes,
          works by some of the textual critics of the past, including Tischendorf, Westcott/Hort, etc.
          Unfortunately, not Tischendorf's 8th or Westcott/Hort's 1881, but the possibility is there.

          No doubt there will still be those who prefer their first contact with research sources to be
          on paper in the library, but if Google actually follows through on this, it could dramatically
          speed up the research process. I for one will be glad.

          Would anyone else agree that it would be useful for everyone to have on a webpage a list
          of text-critical works with direct links to their associated records on Google Books? It
          could be a collaborative effort; just email back any suggestions with the associated URL.
          We can put this list of works on the CSNTM site.

          Ivan

          --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, goranson@... wrote:

          > I agree that the google book bibliographic data is poor, often not just sparse
          > but mistaken. For example, serial runs are often all given with the first year
          > of publication, regardless which volume is displayed. Also, the
          > combinations of
          > scans sometimes cutting off text, or poor quality, or the text-reading
          > software,
          > results in inaccurate text readings, so the keyword search misses words
          > that are
          > there and claims words that are not there, upon inspection of the image.
          > Sometimes these problems can be worked around. For example, I was looking for
          > the earliest uses of words (Egyptology, Archaeology, etc.), uses earlier than
          > those in the Oxford English Dictionary (and found them), but sometimes have to
          > try plan B. E.g., An obituary of an Egyptologist was cut off, giving only part
          > of his name, but on figuring out who was meant, I searched again and found an
          > earlier text with Egyptologist, though the keyword search misssed it. And, by
          > checking the works of George Gliddon, who travelled P.T. Barnum-like, with an
          > Egyptology show, found another keyword-search failed usage, though with the
          > wrong book title and date given by google. (OT: Edgar Allen Poe, by the way,
          > put Gliddon unflatteringly in his 1845 story "Some Words with a Mummy,"
          > wherein
          > a mummy in New Orleans is zapped with electricity, comes to life, and
          > chats. In
          > 1850 in Boston, Gliddon assembled a big crowd, with distinguished persons
          > attending, to unwrap a mummy, one Gliddin declared, from hieroglyphics,
          > to be a
          > woman; a princess, the press announced. On unwrapping, it was plainly a man.
          >
          > Google books is fascinating.
          >
          > Stephen Goranson
          > http://www.duke.edu/~goranson

        • Roger Pearse
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 1, 2006
            --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, John McChesney-Young
            <panis@...> wrote:
            _A
            > Full Collation of the Codex Sinaiticus with the Received Text of the
            > New Testament_ (1864) by Scrivener, which is available as a 10.4MB
            > download.
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/lnuna
            >
            > Unfortunately, I believe Google restricts access - to what extent
            I'm
            > not sure - to US-based IP addresses, so this might prove to be an
            > obstacle to list members in Europe and elsewhere, although it's a
            > barrier which I know has been surmounted by at least one UK member
            of
            > another list I'm on.

            No download is visible to me (in the UK) -- can others see the PDF
            download?

            I'd be interested to know how UK people can avoid this problem.

            All the best,

            Roger Pearse
          • mr.scrivener
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 1, 2006
              Being constantly frustrated with interference from the clueless,
              preventing access to freely available and uncopyrighted material, I
              have gathered such items myself, and posted a few on the internet:

              For Hort's 8 pages on the Pericope de Adultera, go here:

              http://cadesign.webworkercanada.com/pa/TEXT/Hort.pdf

              For Samuel Davidson' internal evidence on John 8:1-11 go here:

              http://cadesign.webworkercanada.com/pa/TEXT/Davidson.pdf

              And, remember, you're welcome,
              because I was.

              Unusually cheerful today,
              Eeyore

              --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "ivanyyong" <ivanyyong@...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              > > checking the works of George Gliddon, who travelled P.T. Barnum-
              like, with an
              > > Egyptology show, found another keyword-search failed usage,
              though with the
              > > wrong book title and date given by google. (OT: Edgar Allen Poe,
              by the way,
              > > put Gliddon unflatteringly in his 1845 story "Some Words with a
              Mummy,"
              > > wherein
              > > a mummy in New Orleans is zapped with electricity, comes to life,
              and
              > > chats. In
              > > 1850 in Boston, Gliddon assembled a big crowd, with distinguished
              persons
              > > attending, to unwrap a mummy, one Gliddin declared, from
              hieroglyphics,
              > > to be a
              > > woman; a princess, the press announced. On unwrapping, it was

            • David Robert Palmer
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 1, 2006
                Roger,

                Whether or not you solve the Google problem, you may download the Scrivener
                Sinaticus collation from my site with this direct link. It is not the
                Google-marked version. 8.62 MB.

                http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/CollatCdxSinait.pdf

                Also, Scrivener's collation of Codex Augiensis, along with 50 other mss.,
                also a pdf. 30.3 MB.

                http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/ScrivCdxAugiensis.pdf

                While you are at it, I recommend downloading some Unicode fonts useful for
                New Testament textual criticism. I did a fair amount of searching and
                testing of many free Unicode fonts, and these are the best for free in my
                opinion:

                Doulos SIL for critical apparatus and entire IPA, 1.1 MB:

                http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/DoulosSIL.zip

                http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/ttf-sil-doulous.deb

                GentiumAlt font for Greek, IPA (has the entire IPA except 5 tone bars), and
                is a decent font just for every-day English/Latin; 9 MB; Debian package
                much smaller.

                http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/gentium102.zip

                http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/gentium102.sit

                http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/ttf-sil-gentium.deb

                Ezra SIL for Hebrew, this being the clearest free Hebrew font by
                far. Though Cardo98 is also good for all three, Greek, Hebrew and critical
                apparatus. 3.3 MB.

                http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/ezrsil20.zip

                http://www.bibletranslation.ws/down/ezrsil20.tar.gz

                At 02:49 PM 9/1/2006 +0000, you wrote:

                >--- In
                ><mailto:textualcriticism%40yahoogroups.com>textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com,
                >John McChesney-Young
                ><panis@...> wrote:
                >_A
                > > Full Collation of the Codex Sinaiticus with the Received Text of the
                > > New Testament_ (1864) by Scrivener, which is available as a 10.4MB
                > > download.
                > >
                > > <http://tinyurl.com/lnuna>http://tinyurl.com/lnuna
                > >
                > > Unfortunately, I believe Google restricts access - to what extent
                >I'm
                > > not sure - to US-based IP addresses, so this might prove to be an
                > > obstacle to list members in Europe and elsewhere, although it's a
                > > barrier which I know has been surmounted by at least one UK member
                >of
                > > another list I'm on.
                >
                >No download is visible to me (in the UK) -- can others see the PDF
                >download?
                >
                >I'd be interested to know how UK people can avoid this problem.
                >
                >All the best,
                >
                >Roger Pearse

              • mr.scrivener
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 2, 2006
                  More goodies for you!
                  Ever wanted to read T.K. Abbott & Ferrar's (1877) introduction to
                  Family 13? Its on the net but scanned page by page in an inconvenient
                  form.

                  So I reformated those scans into a fastloading, readable long strip,
                  made for your browser. Now you can read it in comfort online, copy
                  out what you want.

                  http://cadesign.webworkercanada.com/pa/FAM13/family13.html

                  wrote:

                  >... but if Google actually follows through on this, it could
                  >dramatically
                  > speed up the research process. I for one will be glad.
                  >
                  > Would anyone else agree that it would be useful for everyone to
                  >have on a webpage a list
                  > of text-critical works with direct links to their associated
                  >records on Google Books? It
                  > could be a collaborative effort; just email back any suggestions
                  >with the associated URL.
                  > We can put this list of works on the CSNTM site.
                  >
                  > Ivan

                • mydogregae01
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
                    Having spent a littel time examining this "Google" book resource, I am
                    left saddened. This could have been a great asset to TC listers, but
                    most of the material that is still useful costs, it is not free. Many
                    of the downloads are corrupted. Tattum's Egyptian grammar has about
                    every third page blank, Curtuis's etymology is corrupted, Hug's work
                    costs, and compared to the great resolution of the CSNTM, these
                    resolutions (also often just 1 bit data) are POOR. Vincent's "History
                    of TC.." was okay, but had about 28 duplicated pages at the front,
                    most blank. PDF files can be very very sharp, the free one's here are
                    not. DjVu files are typically equal to the better PDF resolutions, but
                    this site does not use DjVu.

                    There is however, some useful materials! I got several readable Arabic
                    grammars, an Ethiopic grammar, Wilson's Syriac grammar, et al. Did
                    anyone get the English-Armenian dictionary? If so please let me know!
                    My download was not good of this dictionary. Or does anyone know of a
                    digital copy of a good Armenian dictionary??

                    Apparently Google is not quality conscious herein! Maybe they will
                    improve with time, but for the free downloads, I suspect they will not
                    seek to improve. Still, it is a useable resource, but not nearly as
                    powerful as it could/should have been. :-(

                    Mr. Gary S. Dykes
                    www.biblical-data.org
                  • David Robert Palmer
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
                      I should mention where I got my Scrivener pdfs.

                      I do not know who scanned them, but I got them from Mark Langley, pastor of
                      Reformed Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas. He nowhere restricts
                      re-distribution of them, so I figured since I had the bandwidth to upload
                      them, and webspace, I would offer them for download.

                      I paid $9.99 US each for the CDs, as well as several other great CDs. His
                      shipping service is inexpensive.

                      He offers many other titles surely of interest to members of this
                      list. His whole list is here:

                      http://www.solascripturapublishing.com/
                    • David Robert Palmer
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
                        I emailed Mark Langley yesterday in order to clarify the provenance of
                        these Scriverner PDFs I have made downloadable from my website.

                        He stated to me by email today that he is the one who scanned them, from
                        his copy, and that I am free to do with them as I wish, as there is no
                        copyright.

                        David Robert Palmer

                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 9, 2006
                          The Washington Post announces a major exhibit of early Bible manuscripts:
                          http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/08/AR2006090800424.html

                          best
                          Stephen Goranson
                          http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
                        • yennifmit
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 9, 2006
                            There will be a special session devoted to the Freer MSS at this
                            year's SBL in Washington, DC, USA. Larry Hurtado organised and edited
                            a book on the Freer MSS which should be published in time for the SBL
                            meeting. I think that Prof. Hurtado had something to do with reminding
                            the Smithsonian that they had one of the oldest gospel codices in the
                            world languishing in their vaults. I believe that he encouraged them
                            to do something on the centenary of the Freer MSS acquisition by
                            Freer. Of course, I might have my wires crossed...

                            On the Washington Post article, I wouldn't have called Tischendorf and
                            the monks of St Catherine's "a group of excavators."

                            Best

                            Tim Finney