Re: Codex Bezae: Marginal Notes, and More on Mark 4:11

  • mr.scrivener
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006
      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "James Snapp, Jr."
      <voxverax@...> wrote:

      > George Young,
      >
      > The features in Codex Bezae that you described do not reflect the
      > struggles of an anonymous editor. They are "sortes sanctorum"
      > notations -- the ancient equivalent of the Magic Eightball. For a
      > description of their purpose, consult the fourth edition of
      Metzger's
      > "The Text of the New Testament," pp. 266-267 (in the Appendix).
      >
      > In other news: I did a little bit of facsimile-checking on Mark
      > 4:11. In D, DEDOTAI ends a line and GNWNAI begins the following
      > line. In B, DEDOTAI ends a line, too.
      >
      > Yours in Christ,
      >
      > James Snapp, Jr.
      > www.curtisvillechristian.org/BasicTC.html

      On this basis, it would be a simple haplography error on the part of
      the archetype of B, not a doctrinal excision. But doesn't that
      strain credibility, or is it a case of an opportunistic omission,
      retained because of its convenience?

      just thinking,

      Eeyore
    • James Snapp, Jr.
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006
        Michael Marlowe,

        Although one could get the impression from Metzger's comments in pp.
        266-267 of TOTNT (3th ed. -- I typed "4th" earlier; oops) that
        Metzger discovered that the "hermeneiai" are divination-notes, by
        1901 Rendel Harris had written a book titled "The Annotators of Codex
        Bezae (With Some Notes on Sortes Sanctorum)," so it would seem that
        BMM wasn't the first to discern what they were. Also, Scrivener
        listed the notations somewhere, I think.

        I'm not sure how the Sortes Sanctorum were used -- possibly a person
        would simply open the codex to a page at random and read the
        notation. Metzger suggests that "A number would be selected, perhaps
        by throwing dice, and then the pages of the Gospel codex would be
        turned until the sentence that corresponded to the number was
        found."

        It's not clear to me why only 69 notations appear in D, only on the
        pages containing Mark 1:1-10:22. Maybe they were copied from the
        margins of an exemplar which only contained Mark. Perhaps Harris'
        book (which is available on CD from SolaScripturaPublishing) could
        provide some more information.

        In other news: in Mark 4:11 ...
        Peshitta supports GNWNAI.
        1241 reads DEDWTAI TA MUSTHRIA. (No GNWNAI.)
        1342 reads LEGEI instead of ELEGEN, and -- this is interesting -- TO
        MUSTHRION DEDOTAI GNWNAI. (Word-order agreeing with the Alexandrian
        word-order, but with GNWNAI.)

        Can somebody consult T&T (or other resources) for info about the
        versional evidence at Mark 4:11?

        Curtisville Christian Church
        Indiana (USA)
        www.curtisvillechristian.org/TextHistory.html