Re: Codex Bezae: Marginal Notes, and More on Mark 4:11

  • James Snapp, Jr.
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006
      George Young,

      The features in Codex Bezae that you described do not reflect the
      struggles of an anonymous editor. They are "sortes sanctorum"
      notations -- the ancient equivalent of the Magic Eightball. For a
      description of their purpose, consult the fourth edition of Metzger's
      "The Text of the New Testament," pp. 266-267 (in the Appendix).

      In other news: I did a little bit of facsimile-checking on Mark
      4:11. In D, DEDOTAI ends a line and GNWNAI begins the following
      line. In B, DEDOTAI ends a line, too.

    • mr.scrivener
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006
        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "James Snapp, Jr."
        <voxverax@...> wrote:

        > George Young,
        >
        > The features in Codex Bezae that you described do not reflect the
        > struggles of an anonymous editor. They are "sortes sanctorum"
        > notations -- the ancient equivalent of the Magic Eightball. For a
        > description of their purpose, consult the fourth edition of
        Metzger's
        > "The Text of the New Testament," pp. 266-267 (in the Appendix).
        >
        > In other news: I did a little bit of facsimile-checking on Mark
        > 4:11. In D, DEDOTAI ends a line and GNWNAI begins the following
        > line. In B, DEDOTAI ends a line, too.
        >
        > Yours in Christ,
        >
        > James Snapp, Jr.
        > www.curtisvillechristian.org/BasicTC.html

        On this basis, it would be a simple haplography error on the part of
        the archetype of B, not a doctrinal excision. But doesn't that
        strain credibility, or is it a case of an opportunistic omission,
        retained because of its convenience?

        just thinking,

        Eeyore
      • George Young
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006
          Dear James Snapp:

          Thank you for your suggestions regarding Bezae and its
          marginal notes. My understanding of "sortes
          sanctorum," however, does not really jive with that
          expounded by Metzger, and the marginal notes in Bezae
          seem to be of a different dimension altogether (at
          least from the "traditional" practice of the same).
          But it doesn't surprise me that Metzger would offer up
          that sort of explanation, if for no other reason than
          to pass-off these notes as basically the meaningless
          ramblings of a Kook. What is interesting is that
          these notations are most prevalent in the Gospel of
          Mark on both the Latin and Greek text (at least this
          was my impression having looked-over the entire
          manuscript), and that the *style* and *content* is
          very odd, and, still more, we might ask: "Whom is his
          audience?" and "Of whom does he write about?" One
          might continue, "When does he write?" "Is this writer
          a convert?" "Is he of Greek or Roamn descent?" And
          "Why the Gospel of [the] Mark?" and so forth...

          Sincerely,

          Webber Young.

          > In other news: I did a little bit of
          > facsimile-checking on Mark
          > 4:11. In D, DEDOTAI ends a line and GNWNAI begins
          > the following
          > line. In B, DEDOTAI ends a line, too.
          >
          > Yours in Christ,
          >
          > James Snapp, Jr.
          > www.curtisvillechristian.org/BasicTC.html

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Michael Marlowe
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006
            George Young wrote:

            > My understanding of "sortes sanctorum," however,
            > does not really jive with that expounded by Metzger,
            > and the marginal notes in Bezae seem to be of a
            > different dimension altogether (at least from the
            > "traditional" practice of the same).

            I find this interesting, and I have never seen it discussed before. If
            someone has the time for it, I would like to learn how the "sortes
            sanctorum" notes were used, with maybe an example or two.

            Michael Marlowe
          • James Snapp, Jr.
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006
              Michael Marlowe,

              Although one could get the impression from Metzger's comments in pp.
              266-267 of TOTNT (3th ed. -- I typed "4th" earlier; oops) that
              Metzger discovered that the "hermeneiai" are divination-notes, by
              1901 Rendel Harris had written a book titled "The Annotators of Codex
              Bezae (With Some Notes on Sortes Sanctorum)," so it would seem that
              BMM wasn't the first to discern what they were. Also, Scrivener
              listed the notations somewhere, I think.

              I'm not sure how the Sortes Sanctorum were used -- possibly a person
              would simply open the codex to a page at random and read the
              notation. Metzger suggests that "A number would be selected, perhaps
              by throwing dice, and then the pages of the Gospel codex would be
              turned until the sentence that corresponded to the number was
              found."

              It's not clear to me why only 69 notations appear in D, only on the
              pages containing Mark 1:1-10:22. Maybe they were copied from the
              margins of an exemplar which only contained Mark. Perhaps Harris'
              book (which is available on CD from SolaScripturaPublishing) could
              provide some more information.

              In other news: in Mark 4:11 ...
              Peshitta supports GNWNAI.
              1241 reads DEDWTAI TA MUSTHRIA. (No GNWNAI.)
              1342 reads LEGEI instead of ELEGEN, and -- this is interesting -- TO
              MUSTHRION DEDOTAI GNWNAI. (Word-order agreeing with the Alexandrian
              word-order, but with GNWNAI.)

              Can somebody consult T&T (or other resources) for info about the
              versional evidence at Mark 4:11?

              Curtisville Christian Church
              Indiana (USA)
              www.curtisvillechristian.org/TextHistory.html