Re: [textualcriticism] Re: Ode of Solomon 14

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 18, 2004

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2004 10:20 AM
      Subject: [textualcriticism] Re: Ode of Solomon 14

      Oh, I see now that I've mixed this up with the LXX Odes! I was talking
      about the LXX Ode 14, following the Psalms. Now this is something I know
      even less about than the Odes of Solomon! Very embarrassing. :-(
      Let me change my question accordingly:
      What is the accepted date and textual history for the LXX Ode 14?
      Authoritative literature?

      Since Ode 9 is based on Luke 1:46-55 and 68-79
      and  Ode 13 is based on Luke 2:29-32
      the collection of 14 Odes can be securely
      regarded as post-Christian

      (Odes 1 to 7 are based on the canonical OT
      Ode 8 is the deuterocanonical 'Song of the three
      holy children' from Greek-Daniel
      Ode 10 and 11 are based on the canonical OT
      Ode 12 is the deuterocanonical Prayer of
      Manasses'
      As well as Luke 2:14 Ode 14 draws on the Psalms.)

      Ode 14 is known as the Great or Greater Doxology and has an
      important role in Eastern Orthodox worship.

      In its present form it may be rather late (say 500 CE) but it is based
      upon a much earlier prayer which goes back certainly to the 4th
      century and probably to the 3rd or earlier.

      The earliest known form is that in the Apostolic Constitutions book 7
      which is late 4th century and has the Byzantine/Majority reading for
      Luke 2:14

      Andrew Criddle
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 19, 2004
        Is it correct to say that the Odes have been added to the LXX Psalms in
        the 5th CE?
        And the earliest form of Ode 14 is that in the Apostolic Constitutions
        (4th CE)?

        mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
      • sarban
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 19, 2004

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 19, 2004

            IIUC there is a reference to the Ode in Pseudo-Athanasius 'De Virginitate' with the Byzantine form of Luke 1:14.

            sorry that should obviously be Luke 2:14

            Andrew Criddle