Re: IMPROVING DIGITAL IMAGES

  • mydogregae01
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6, 2006
      "Wieland Willker" <willker@...> wrote:

      > Gary proposed some interesting enhancement technique at:

      > http://biblical-data.org/interpolation/zooming_in.html
      >
      > The separation into the various channels is useful. Here is my take:
      > http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/1960_enh.jpg
      > Bottom left is the Green channel, bottom right the Magenta channel.
      > Top right is a contrast enhanced image, which shows clearly the
      strong jpeg artifacts.
      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      A reply:

      Wieland, you re-used the posted jpg samples, and thus the images you
      worked with would contain excessive jpg artifacts. What one needs to
      do is begin with an original TIFF or BMP format, then manipulate. You
      probably already know this. JPG should be avoided except as a final
      save for internet purposes - especailly non-grayscale separations.

      Also, the RGB splits are the least useful. HSB and others (especially
      YIQ) when actually split into their GRAYSCALE registered components
      (used for 4 color printing) offer more data, including impressions
      upon the actual parchment - which is why many rulings "magically"
      appear in some grayscale splits as these lines are pressed into the
      parchment.

      In my opinion, Photozoom Pro at:

      http://www.benvista.com

      for $129.00 is one of the best interpolators, especially its s-spline
      interpolator.

      Qimage is a powerful product with many features, as well as great
      interpolation with its Pyramid-10 interpolator. It is only $50.00:

      http://www.ddisoftware.com

      The free Image Analyzer (with the Fractal plugin) is also good,
      especially when post operations (unsharp mask, and anti-aliasing) are
      applied. It is found on a link on the page you named above
      (zooming_in.html). ---PS the link has been fixed!---

      The links are now fixed. Recall that fractal interploation adds an
      infinity of pixels (with Genuine Fractals for example...) you can zoom
      in forever, and NEVER see pixelations! Via the fractal algorithm more
      pixels are created. New DATA is not added, just enchanced parameters.
      Genuine Fractals is also a good interploation program, it can be found at:

      http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=2

      It costs $159.00 and uses Photoshop CS and only runs on Windows 2000,
      and XP. Hard to find earlier versions 2 and 2.5 run on Windows 98 SE.

      Photozoom Pro does one of the best jobs, and has numerous tweaks. I
      again recommend it. It runs on all 32 bit versions of Windows.

      Here is another useful site which shows some tests:

      www.americaswonderlands.com/digital_photo_interpolation.htm

      sincerely,
      Mr. Gary S. Dykes
      www.biblical-data.org