Re: [textualcriticism] The Wycliffe Bible and Mark 7:3

  • Jan Krans
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2006
      Daniel Buck wrote:
      [snip]
      > Perhaps the best passage to illustrate this seems to be Mark 7:3,
      > where, if I read the comparative apparatus correctly, Erasmus had
      > pugmh (‛with fist'), the reading of every Gk mss known at the time.
      > The Vulgate reading ('crebro'), however, followed what we now
      > realise from Aleph and W to have most likely been in Jerome's
      > exemplar--‛pukna'. This was the reading of Wycliffe, naturally,
      > but interestingly enough also of Luther (‛manchmal') and Tyndale
      > (‛ofte').
      >
      > Either Erasmus really did conjecture ‛pukna', in which he was
      > follwed by English and German Bibles for centuries to come, or there
      > was some intermediate link or links between the vorlage of the
      > Vulgate and that of Luther and Tyndale (although some would argue
      > that Tyndale was following Luther here, in other places Tyndale
      > appears to follow Wycliffe directly, leaving Luther to follow
      > Erasmus instead).
      >
      > Can anyone confirm the reading(s) of Erasmus here from facsimile?
      > Better yet, does anyone have access to the several German mss
      > translations for this passage?

      In all editions, Erasmus' Greek text is pugmh (without iota subscript in
      1516); in his Latin translation he maintains the Vulgate reading 'crebro'.
      In his annotations, he explains why he does so: he regards the Greek text
      as incorrect, and offers various conjectures (the one that is still known
      is pukna) intended to provide a Greek word meaning 'often'. See the
      Amsterdam edition of Erasmus' Opera omnia, ASD VI-5, pp. 392-393).

      In conclusion, the case of Mark 7:3 does not help very much for your basic
      question, for translators who adopt the meaning 'often' here can either
      simply depend on the Vulgate, or follow Erasmus' judgment. The net result
      is the same. In general, it is methodically always important to look to
      Erasmus' Latin translation and his annotations as well, and not to focus
      exclusively on the Greek text of his editions.

      Greetings,
      Jan Krans
      Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam