Bibleworks 7

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2006
      I finally managed to get a copy of Bibleworks 7.

      BW 7 has a new user interface. Hmm ...
      I don't see any advantage. For those familiar with BW 6, it takes some experimenting to get back to the old layout. I have my screen rotated 90 degrees and in this mode the new layout is not very useful.
      Ok, otherwise BW 7 looks and works much the same as BW 6.
      The major improvement is the completely new editor, but since I do not use it, I will not comment on that.

      For textual criticism the following databases are new:

      - Comfort/Barrett "The text of the Earliest NT Greek MSS", full text with intros and images. $30 (The images are much better than in the book, probably they got new ones from the publisher)

      - Metzger's textual commentary (free!)

      - "Textkritik des Neuen Testaments" by Gregory (free) (this item is a little hidden. It is in the Tischendorf apparatus, at the end

      - von Soden: List of codices (pages 102-289 of Vol. 1,1), also hidden at the end of Tischendorf.

      This is why Bibleworks will never get BIG: They do not advertise what they have, and what they have, they hide.
      :-)

      Still in planning are:
      - the edition of the Swanson volumes $45
      - the CNTTS Critical Apparatus $100 (what does this look like?)

      Also noteworthy:
      - "A Greek-English Lexicon of the Septuagint" by Lust et al. (free)
      - Wallace "Greek Grammar beyond the Basics" full text $30
      - Blass-Debrunner-Funk $55

      Interesting are:
      - Keywords in context module: You can look up a certain word in a defined range of verses and get a list of other words that appear in the neighborhood of this word. You can define the distance to the left and the right.

      - BW 7 now comes with full Unicode support!

      The prices are very reasonable. Check everything out at:
      http://www.bibleworks.com/

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de