Representing Multiple Pathways of Textual Flow

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 14, 2004
      The following article appears to be free for download:

      "Representing Multiple Pathways of Textual Flow in the Greek Manuscripts
      of the Letter of James Using Reduced Median Networks"
      Matthew Spencer, Klaus Wachtel, Christopher J. Howe
      Computers and the Humanities 2004, 1-14

      http://ipsapp008.kluweronline.com/IPS/frames/toc.aspx?J=4589&I=30

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17, 2004
        I've uploaded the paper ("The Origin(s) of the 'Caesarean' Text") I'll be
        giving at SBL this Saturday to:

        http://www.hypotyposeis.org/weblog/2004/11/sbl-paper-on-caesarean-text-now-ready.html

        Stephen Carlson
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 18, 2004
          Let me quote the concluding paragraph of Carlson's text:

          "It is striking to see how closely this proposed stemma generated by a
          completely new technology supports the venerable conclusions of New
          Testament textual critics, going all the way back to Westcott and Hort.
          Perhaps the main reason why there seems to have been so little progress
          in advancing the history of the text since Westcott and Hort is that
          Westcott and Hort's theory of the text is so substantially correct that
          there is actually little left to advance."

          It is funny, I just finished an evaluation of all differences of the
          text of WH and NA in the Gospels (451) for my TCG commentary (new
          edition in January) and concluded:

          "One will probably not agree with my estimation of the evidence in all
          cases, but I think it is clear that the WH text still has its value
          today. It is slightly inferior to NA, but one cannot say that it is
          wrong in all cases. About 60% of all differences are so difficult to
          evaluate, that there is a strong possibility that NA is, to some extent
          at least, wrong.
          In light of the manifold criticisms of WH's opinions regarding the
          transmission of the text, it is astonishing that their text is so good
          still today. This is on the one hand probably primarily due to the fact
          that their basic result, to follow B wherever possible, is not so bad as
          it is normally accepted today, and on the other hand, that their
          opinions regarding the textual history are, with some qualifications,
          probably also basically correct."

          Well, this is probably a bit of an oversimplification of a very complex
          matter and perhaps I will change the last paragraph a bit for the final
          version, but basically I stand by it. (NB: It only refers to the
          Gospels, they are my only object of research.)

          mailto:willker@...-bremen.de