RE: Westcott-Hort Greek NewTestament

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 20, 2006
      Word from the publisher:

      ------------------------------------

      Let me provide more information about this project under three headings:

      1. The Text: Hendrickson's Westcott-Hort (WH) GNT has been careful to
      preserve the text and formatting of the original edition, including some of
      the unusual spellings of Greek proper names that have been purged from other
      editions of WH. However, English headings have been added to make the text
      easier for students to navigate. All citations of the OT that WH highlighted
      have been preserved in boldface type, with the biblical references at the
      foot of each page. (WH originally had them all listed in the back.) Those
      familiar with WH will recognize this as a very detailed and comprehensive
      list of OT citations.

      2. The Apparatus: This will not be a full critical apparatus, but rather a
      comparative apparatus, detailing every place in which the NA27-UBS4 editions
      and the Robinson Byzantine (sometimes referred to as the "Majority Text")
      edition vary from WH. Thus the reader has at his or her disposal not only
      the complete WH text, but (through the comparative apparatus) the complete
      NA27 and Robinson-Pierpont Byzantine texts as well. This gives the reader
      the essential text of all three prominent text-critical schools: the
      Alexandrian (represented in the WH text itself), the eclectic (represented
      in the NA27), and the Byzantine or Majority (represented in the
      Robinson-Pierpont text). WH's original footnotes will also be preserved
      using a special designator. All variants will be included except those which
      represent mere stylistic variations in spelling that are without exegetical
      significance.

      3. The Greek Dictionary: This will be an "Essential Souter Dictionary"-an
      abridgment and updating of the Souter Pocket Lexicon. New features of the
      dictionary will include noun cases, adjective endings, and increased
      information about irregular verb forms.

      Eldon J. Epp has written a fine Foreword for the edition that details and
      puts in perspective the substantial contribution made to the field of New
      Testament textual studies by Westcott and Hort. We will also include WH's
      original introduction, along with a helpful introduction to the new edition,
      and maps of the biblical world.

      Since I know this has been a somewhat shameless sales pitch, I would be
      happy to answer any further inquiries about this new edition off-list.

      Dr. Mark A. House

      Associate Editor

      Hendrickson Publishers

      -----------------------------------

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
    • Jim West
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 20, 2006
        I'm sorry but I haven't really followed this thread. It may have
        already been mentioned, but when is this edition to be published?

        Thanks

        Jim

        --
        Jim West, ThD

        http://petrosbaptistchurch.blogspot.com -- Weblog
      • James Spinti
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 20, 2006
          Theoretically this month.

          James

          ________________________________
          James Spinti
          Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
          Eisenbrauns, Good books for over 30 years
          jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
          Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
          Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
          Fax: 574-269-6788

        • Harold P. Scanlin
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 20, 2006
            James Spinti wrote:

            Theoretically this month.

            Their website now says November 2006.

            Hal Scanlin

            James

            ____________ _________ _________ __
            James Spinti
            Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
            Eisenbrauns, Good books for over 30 years
            jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
            Web: http://www.eisenbra uns.com
            Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
            Fax: 574-269-6788

          • malcolm robertson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 26, 2006
              James and Harold,

              I checked on the status of my copy today.  It is due July 7th.

              Because He lives,

              Malcolm

            • Peter Gurry
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
                Dr. Willker,

                In your post from Dr. Mark A. House from Hendrickson, he said their new W-H Greek New Testament would include W-H's original introduction. I'm assuming since the Hendrickson edition is 900 pages that he's referring to their full 288-page introduction, but do you know if that also includes their 174-page Notes on Selected Readings?

                Peter