RE: [textualcriticism] Re: New Septuagint

  • James Spinti
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 15, 2006
      Direct from the blurb on our website:
      Rahlfs standard edition of the Septuagint has been checked and corrected
      in about 1000 places by Robert Hanhart.

      You edition won't be outdated. What makes it outdated is the Goettingen
      LXX, if you can afford the volumes :(

      HTH,
      James
      ________________________________
      James Spinti
      Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
      Eisenbrauns, Good books for over 30 years
      jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
      Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
      Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
      Fax: 574-269-6788

    • Jim West
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 15, 2006
        James what's the URL for your ordering info for the new edition? And
        how is it possible that with 1000 corrections the old edition isn't
        thereby outdated?

        BTW, if I recall, Hanhart worked on a number of the Goettingen volumes-
        so perhaps this edition is ideal for those not wealthy?

        --
        Jim West, ThD

        http://petrosbaptistchurch.blogspot.com -- Weblog
      • Harold P. Scanlin
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 16, 2006
          Before my retirement from UBS I was in several meetings with the folks from GBS when we discussed the new edition of Rahlfs. The original intent was to bring the running text into alignment with the published Goettingen volumes and adjust the Rahlfs apparatus where appropriate.  I believe Hanhart was also able to make numerous corrections of typographical errors. Unless the editorial purpose was broadened, I would assume that these changes could amount to as many as 1,000.

          Defining "outdated" may depend on the thickness of your wallet. Getting the new edition will mean you don't have to check the Goettingen volumes to have the latest version of the eclectic text.

          Harold

          Harold P. Scanlin
          UBS Consultant on Scholarly Editions, Emeritus

          http://web.infoave. net/~jwest -- Biblical Studies Resources

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 16, 2006
            Jim,

            Here is the URL:

            www.eisenbrauns.com/wconnect/wc.dll?ebGate~EIS~~I~RAHSEPTUA2

            I haven't been able to get a confirmation on the actual publication
            date. I am going by the preliminary information I received. I should
            know more by the middle of July.

            I don't remember where I got the information now, but if I recall
            correctly, it was mainly minor variants that were corrected. You are
            correct, Hanhart worked on several of the Goettingen LXX volumes, mainly
            apocryphal books. He also wrote three volumes in the "Mitteilungen des
            Septuaginta-Unternehmens der Akademie der Wissenschaften in Goettingen"
            series.

            James
            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 19, 2006
              I received an update from the DBG over the weekend. The official
              publication date is September.

              HTH,
              James

              James Spinti
              Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
              Eisenbrauns, Good books for over 30 years
              jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
              Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
              Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
              Fax: 574-269-6788