Re: [textualcriticism] Re: Freer Gospels (W 032)

  • Timothy Arthur Brown
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 8, 2006
      Hello,

      The claims that Woodard makes are so numerous that a full response would require more attention than his ideas deserve.  To answer you generally, some of what Woodard is seeing is offset, that is, ink which has cross-printed from the facing page; in other instances he is reading things into mere stains in the parchment; sometimes he's attributing special significance to the quite typical scribal decorations of a colophon; and he even finds minute hidden messages in the ragged shapes of letters that have suffered the effects of time and use.

      I hope it is clear that Bruce Prior and I investigated Woodard's claims because we feel responsible to consult secondary sources in our work and, for the sake of thoroughness, needed to make a careful, open-minded examination of Woodard's work as well.  As it turns out, Woodard's work proved unworthy of the time we invested in it.

      If you would like more detail, you could purchase Woodard's book (though I dislike the idea of giving him undue encouragement) and then purchase the new set of images which will hopefully be made available before the end of the year.  This will enable you to examine his claims yourself.

      Yours sincerely,

      T. A. Brown
      Franconia, New Hampshire  USA

      mr.scrivener wrote:

      Dear Mr. Brown:

      Thank you for your prompt reply:
      However, you seem to have left an ambiguity -
      Mr Woodward's ideas may be without merit,
      but are the marks just dust specks, imperfections in the photos,
      or actual scribal scribbles, whatever their meaning?
      Could you clarify?

      Still perplexed,
      Eeyore.

      --- In textualcriticism@ yahoogroups. com, Timothy Arthur Brown
      <t.a.brown@. ..> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > Bruce Prior and I are in the process of finishing up pre-press work
      on
      > the Freer Gospels transcription now. You can expect to see an
      edition
      > available at this year's SBL annual meeting in Washington, DC. The
      new
      > images I alluded to are, as far as I know, still intended for
      public
      > release this November as well. The newest images are those taken
      by the
      > Freer/Sackler photography department and I think it's safe to
      assume
      > that this image library will be published by the Freer/Sackler
      Gallery
      > itself.
      >
      > And now concerning Woodard's "Kodex W". . . Bruce and I first
      learned of
      > Woodard's theories a couple of years ago. The claims are wild, but
      we
      > agreed that such claims, regardless how unbelievable, ought not be
      > automatically rejected simply because they do not conform to our
      current
      > understanding of the manuscript. We had at our disposal the tools
      and
      > access necessary to examine these claims, so we decided to do so.
      We
      > were in contact with Lee Woodard by phone and by e-mail and we each
      had
      > a copy of his book. Becoming thus fully informed of his claims, we
      > examined high resolution images of the relevant parts of the codex
      and
      > were unable to substantiate any of Woodard's theories. Since this
      > examination, I have had opportunity to access the original at the
      Freer
      > Gallery and must still conclude that Woodard's ideas are without
      merit.

      > Sincerely,
      >
      > T. A. Brown
      > Franconia, New Hampshire USA
      >

      > mr.scrivener wrote:
      >
      > > ------------ --------
      > > Dear Mr. Brown:
      > >
      > > In this message (last year), you mentioned publishing
      transcriptions
      > > of Codex W, as well as a possible new Facsimile edition available
      on
      > > disk by the '2006 SBL Meetings..'. Well, its June 2006, and I was
      > > wondering how your projects are coming along.

      > > Also, is anyone aware of the following website, which claims to
      have
      > > discovered 'seals' or 'signatures' of the scribes who wrote Codex
      > > (the Gospel mss)?
      > >
      > > http://www.washingt on-codex. org/woodard_ kodex_article_ 1.htm
      > > <http://www.washingt on-codex. org/woodard_ kodex_article_ 1.htm>
      > >
      > > Although the site makes many wild claims, and dates the Gospel
      Codex