Psalm 62:3

  • Dave Washburn
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2004
      I'm wondering about the word RAB.FH at the end of this verse. The BHS note
      says " > Ms et 7, frt dl " which of course is so much information I can't
      process it all :-) Actually, I know what it means, I just wonder why. Was
      the word missing from these older printed editions (Kennicott, etc.) because
      it wasn't in the manuscripts they used, did they delete it based on its
      absence in verse 7, what is the story?

      In addition, I can't help wondering why, if the word wasn't there to begin
      with, a scribe would add it? It really doesn't seem to do much for the line,
      especially since verse 7 doesn't have it. It makes more sense to me, to
      suspect that some scribes saw verse 7 and assumed that the word didn't belong
      in verse 2, and so omitted it. I can't see anything in the surrounding lines
      that lead me to suspect homoioteleuton or some other visual lapse, so -
      assuming it's original - either its omission was a basic flub or a deliberate
      excision.

      In any case, it appears to me that the longer reading best explains the origin
      of the shorter one, but I'd like more opinions before I reach a solid
      conclusion. What do you folks think?

      Thanks,
      --
      Dave Washburn
      http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 8, 2004
        Dear Dave,

        according to Kennicott this word is omitted in his
        manuscript 39. I see no grounds to suppose it is not
        original in all other witnesses. It seems to me that
        this word just has irritated the editor of Psalms in
        BHS. (But of course the BHS does not cite sources fot
        its emendation proposals.)

        Viktor Golinets

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/GuTslB/TM

        Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 100MB Speicher kostenlos - Hier anmelden: http://mail.yahoo.de