Re: Freer Gospels (W 032)

  • mr.scrivener
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 7, 2006
      --------------------
      Dear Mr. Brown:

      In this message (last year), you mentioned publishing transcriptions
      of Codex W, as well as a possible new Facsimile edition available on
      disk by the '2006 SBL Meetings..'. Well, its June 2006, and I was
      wondering how your projects are coming along.

      ----------------------
      Also, is anyone aware of the following website, which claims to have
      discovered 'seals' or 'signatures' of the scribes who wrote Codex W
      (the Gospel mss)?

      http://www.washington-codex.org/woodard_kodex_article_1.htm

      Although the site makes many wild claims, and dates the Gospel Codex
      W too early, surely just the existance of these 'seals' at the
      beginning and end of each gospel in the codex require a thorough
      investigation and proper explanation.

      Any ideas?

      Curiosity is killing me here...
      Eeyore

      ------------------------------
      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Timothy Arthur Brown
      <t.a.brown@...> wrote:

      > Hi Michael,
      >
      > After responding to your question about published photographs, I
      reread
      > your message and noticed that you also asked about transcriptions.
      >
      > Bruce Prior and I are working on full transcriptions and collations
      of
      > two of the Washington MSS at this moment -- The Gospels MS, about
      which
      > you've inquired, and the Deuteronomy/Joshua MS. Both
      transcriptions are
      > scheduled for publication by the 2006 SBL meetings in Washington,
      DC.

      > These transcriptions follow the layout of the original manuscripts
      > closely. We have even taken pains to measure and represent the
      spaces
      > which the scribe has often used to separate phrases. Word spacing
      has
      > been added for clarity, however, and whenever it has been necessary
      > use editorial judgments, an explanation appears in the footnotes.
      >
      > T. A. Brown
      > Franconia, New Hampshire USA

    • Peter M. Head
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 7, 2006

        >Also, is anyone aware of the following website, which claims to have
        >discovered 'seals' or 'signatures' of the scribes who wrote Codex W
        >(the Gospel mss)?
        >
        >http://www.washington-codex.org/woodard_kodex_article_1.htm
        >
        >Although the site makes many wild claims, and dates the Gospel Codex
        >W too early, surely just the existance of these 'seals' at the
        >beginning and end of each gospel in the codex require a thorough
        >investigation and proper explanation.

        Yes this is a fantastic discovery.

        Peter M. Head, PhD
        Tyndale House
        36 Selwyn Gardens
        Cambridge CB3 9BA
        01223 566601
      • Peter M. Head
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 7, 2006
          OED: Fantastic:

          Existing only in imagination; proceeding merely from imagination;
          fabulous, imaginary, unreal (obs.). b. In mod. use, of alleged
          reasons, fears, etc.: Perversely or irrationally imagined.

          Peter M. Head, PhD
          Tyndale House
          36 Selwyn Gardens
          Cambridge CB3 9BA
          01223 566601
        • George F Somsel
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 7, 2006
            It WOULD BE fantastic. if true.  The question is whether these claims can be independently verified by others.  When I encounter rather extreme claims, it tends to taint my ablity to put much credence in the rest of what is said therein.  I would say that it is first necessary for a recognized scholar to look at the evidence and either confirm or debunk these claims.

            ___________

            "Peter M. Head" <pmh15@...> wrote:

            >Also, is anyone aware of the following website, which claims to have
            >discovered 'seals' or 'signatures' of the scribes who wrote Codex W
            >(the Gospel mss)?
            >
            >http://www.washingt on-codex. org/woodard_ kodex_article_ 1.htm
            >
            >Although the site makes many wild claims, and dates the Gospel Codex
            >W too early, surely just the existance of these 'seals' at the
            >beginning and end of each gospel in the codex require a thorough
            >investigation and proper explanation.

            Yes this is a fantastic discovery.

            Peter M. Head, PhD
            Tyndale House
            36 Selwyn Gardens
            Cambridge CB3 9BA
            01223 566601

            george
            gfsomsel
            _________

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Peter Williams
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 7, 2006
              It's a fantastic phantasm.

              George:

              >It WOULD BE fantastic. if true.
              >
              >"Peter M. Head" <pmh15@...> wrote:
              >>
              >>Yes this is a fantastic discovery.

              ------------
              Peter Williams
              Senior Lecturer in New Testament
              Deputy Head of School of Divinity, History and Philosophy
              University of Aberdeen
              p.j.williams@...
            • George F Somsel

                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 7, 2006
                  The web site looks like an attempt to push an agenda more than a place where evidence would be presented that would be reliable (as seen in the diatribe against a school in Oklahoma).  While the claim may need to be examined, I would think a more adequate answer could be found in the presentations at SBL on Codex W this November, where several studies of the ms. are being presented.

                  paz,

                  Bill Warren

                  --------------------

                  <t.a.brown@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Michael,
                  >
                  > After responding to your question about published photographs, I
                  reread
                  > your message and noticed that you also asked about transcriptions.
                  >
                  > Bruce Prior and I are working on full transcriptions and collations
                  of
                  > two of the Washington MSS at this moment -- The Gospels MS, about
                  which
                  > you've inquired, and the Deuteronomy/Joshua MS. Both
                  transcriptions are
                  > scheduled for publication by the 2006 SBL meetings in Washington,
                  DC.

                  > These transcriptions follow the layout of the original manuscripts
                  > closely. We have even taken pains to measure and represent the
                  spaces
                  > which the scribe has often used to separate phrases. Word spacing
                  has
                  > been added for clarity, however, and whenever it has been necessary
                  > use editorial judgments, an explanation appears in the footnotes.
                  >
                  > T. A. Brown
                  > Franconia, New Hampshire USA

                  =
                • Tommy Wasserman
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 7, 2006
                    I have come across a large number of scribal peculiarities through the
                    years. Here are two which someone might help me with:

                    1) in an MS the final AMHN (in Jude) is written backwards on three
                    lines:

                    HN

                    Has anyone seen anything similar?

                    2) In some minuscule MSS there is a sign in the margin, •/•, plus a
                    reading. I interpret the sign as an "obelus periestigmenos." The
                    question is whether this sign has the same function over time, i.e. in
                    the early uncials and in the minuscules, respectively. In short, I am
                    not sure if it unequivocally refers to a correction of the text (or
                    might be a reference to an alternative reading).

                    Any ideas?

                    With regards

                    Tommy Wasserman
                    Centre for Theology and Religious Studies
                    Lund University
                    Sweden
                  • Timothy Arthur Brown
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 7, 2006
                      Hello,

                      Bruce Prior and I are in the process of finishing up pre-press work on the Freer Gospels transcription now.  You can expect to see an edition available at this year's SBL annual meeting in Washington, DC.  The new images I alluded to are, as far as I know, still intended for public release this November as well.  The newest images are those taken by the Freer/Sackler photography department and I think it's safe to assume that this image library will be published by the Freer/Sackler Gallery itself.

                      And now concerning Woodard's "Kodex W". . . Bruce and I first learned of Woodard's theories a couple of years ago.  The claims are wild, but we agreed that such claims, regardless how unbelievable, ought not be automatically rejected simply because they do not conform to our current understanding of the manuscript.  We had at our disposal the tools and access necessary to examine these claims, so we decided to do so.  We were in contact with Lee Woodard by phone and by e-mail and we each had a copy of his book.  Becoming thus fully informed of his claims, we examined high resolution images of the relevant parts of the codex and were unable to substantiate any of Woodard's theories.  Since this examination, I have had opportunity to access the original at the Freer Gallery and must still conclude that Woodard's ideas are without merit.

                      Sincerely,

                      ------------ --------

                      ------------ --------- -

                      ------------ --------- ---------

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 7, 2006
                        What about the alleged upside down Aramaic text.  Is there anything there to which he might refer or is this made up out of whole cloth?

                        _____________

                        ------------ --------

                        <t.a.brown@. ..> wrote:

                        > Hi Michael,
                        >
                        > After responding to your question about published photographs, I
                        reread
                        > your message and noticed that you also asked about transcriptions.
                        >
                        > Bruce Prior and I are working on full transcriptions and collations
                        of
                        > two of the Washington MSS at this moment -- The Gospels MS, about
                        which
                        > you've inquired, and the Deuteronomy/ Joshua MS. Both
                        transcriptions are
                        > scheduled for publication by the 2006 SBL meetings in Washington,
                        DC.

                        > These transcriptions follow the layout of the original manuscripts
                        > closely. We have even taken pains to measure and represent the
                        spaces
                        > which the scribe has often used to separate phrases. Word spacing
                        has
                        > been added for clarity, however, and whenever it has been necessary
                        > use editorial judgments, an explanation appears in the footnotes.
                        >
                        > T. A. Brown
                        > Franconia, New Hampshire USA

                        george
                        gfsomsel
                        _________

                        http://mail.yahoo.com

                      • Kent Clarke
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 7, 2006
                          Re: [textualcriticism] Re: Freer Gospels (W 032) I saw that one coming Peter...hahaha

                          Kent

                          Kent D. Clarke (Ph.D. Bristol)
                          Associate Professor of Religious Studies
                          Department of Religious Studies
                          Seal-Kap House
                          Trinity Western University
                          7600 Glover Road
                          Langley, BC
                          V2Y 1Y1
                          Canada

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 7, 2006
                            Dear George,

                            Bruce and I were unable to substantiate even a single one of Woodard's claims.

                            ------------ --------

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 7, 2006
                              Greetings Mr Wasserman:

                              I have two leads for you:

                              (1) the Jude inscription looks painfully like the Egyptian practice
                              found in 'Christian Magic' amulets and small scrolls. I suggest you
                              start with the two following books as an introduction to the subject:

                              Ancient Christian Magic (Coptic texts of ritual power) Edited by
                              Meyer & Smith (Harper Collins 1994), and

                              Medicine, Miracle & Magic in NT Times by H.C. Kee.(Cambridge UP 1986-
                              1990)

                              Also useful might be:
                              Paganism & Christianity 100-425 C.E. A Sourcebook Macmullen & Lane

                              The writing of religious texts backwards or in patterns was very
                              common throughout Egypt and the Aegean in the period.

                              (2) Studying Vaticanus I have come to the conclusion that the 'NT'
                              Obelisk (the one you describe is a lemniscus =dot/dot)has a variety
                              of uses but mostly as a generic indicator of an accidental omission
                              corrected in the margin. there is a good introduction to the changes
                              in meaning over periods and places here:

                              http://www.christianforums.com/t2994963-asterisk-and-obelus-three-
                              different-usages.html

                              --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Tommy Wasserman <tomwas@...>
                              wrote:

                              > I have come across a large number of scribal peculiarities through
                              the
                              > years. Here are two which someone might help me with:
                              >
                              > 1) in an MS the final AMHN (in Jude) is written backwards on three
                              > lines:
                              >
                              > HN
                              >
                              > Has anyone seen anything similar?
                              >
                              > 2) In some minuscule MSS there is a sign in the margin, •/•, plus a
                              > reading. I interpret the sign as an "obelus periestigmenos." The
                              > question is whether this sign has the same function over time, i.e.
                              in
                              > the early uncials and in the minuscules, respectively. In short, I
                              am
                              > not sure if it unequivocally refers to a correction of the text (or
                              > might be a reference to an alternative reading).
                              >
                              > Any ideas?
                              >
                              > With regards
                              >
                              > Tommy Wasserman
                              > Centre for Theology and Religious Studies
                              > Lund University
                              > Sweden

                            • mr.scrivener
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 7, 2006
                                Dear Mr. Brown:

                                Thank you for your prompt reply:
                                However, you seem to have left an ambiguity -
                                Mr Woodward's ideas may be without merit,
                                but are the marks just dust specks, imperfections in the photos,
                                or actual scribal scribbles, whatever their meaning?
                                Could you clarify?

                                Still perplexed,

                                <t.a.brown@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                transcriptions
                                > > of Codex W, as well as a possible new Facsimile edition available
                                on
                                > > disk by the '2006 SBL Meetings..'. Well, its June 2006, and I was
                                > > wondering how your projects are coming along.
                                > >
                                > > ----------------------
                                > > Also, is anyone aware of the following website, which claims to
                                have
                                > > discovered 'seals' or 'signatures' of the scribes who wrote Codex
                                > > (the Gospel mss)?
                                > >
                                > > http://www.washington-codex.org/woodard_kodex_article_1.htm
                                > > <http://www.washington-codex.org/woodard_kodex_article_1.htm>
                                > >
                                > > Although the site makes many wild claims, and dates the Gospel
                                Codex
                                > > W too early, surely just the existance of these 'seals' at the
                                > > beginning and end of each gospel in the codex require a thorough

                              • Jack Kilmon
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 7, 2006
                                  > Existing only in imagination; proceeding merely from imagination;
                                  > fabulous, imaginary, unreal (obs.). b. In mod. use, of alleged
                                  > reasons, fears, etc.: Perversely or irrationally imagined.

                                  I think the word is used more often now in its colloquial shift meaning
                                  "excellent" or good beyond expectation.

                                  Jack Kilmon
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 8, 2006
                                    Tommy Wasserman wrote:
                                    > 2) In some minuscule MSS there is a sign in the margin, •/•,
                                    > plus a reading.

                                    I think in Vaticanus it represents a correction.

                                    In Vaticanus also exists a wavy sign (vertical ~) which might indicate an explanation of some kind:
                                    http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/Vaticanus/dittographies.html
                                    (image on the right)

                                    Just for completeness sake, in Vaticanus also another sign appears once:
                                    http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/Vaticanus/wordorder.html

                                    mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
                                  • Tommy Wasserman
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 8, 2006
                                      mr.scrivener wrote:

                                      > Greetings Mr Wasserman:
                                      >
                                      > I have two leads for you:
                                      >
                                      > (1) the Jude inscription looks painfully like the Egyptian practice
                                      > found in 'Christian Magic' amulets and small scrolls.

                                      Thank you mr. scrivener (is that your real name?). Sorry I was not
                                      clear - the MS in question is a medieval Greek continuous-text
                                      minuscule with no other signs of "magic" use whatsoever, a subject of
                                      which I am otherwise quite familiar with.

                                      > I suggest you
                                      >
                                      > (2) Studying Vaticanus I have come to the conclusion that the 'NT'
                                      > Obelisk (the one you describe is a lemniscus =dot/dot)has a variety
                                      > of uses but mostly as a generic indicator of an accidental omission
                                      > corrected in the margin. there is a good introduction to the changes
                                      > in meaning over periods and places here:

                                      I found the following information about the symbol in "Transformed Into
                                      His Image" in Grace Theological Journal 2.2 (Fall 1981) 230-31 which
                                      made me hesitat to equal the function to that in the early uncials:

                                      A partial explanation of the symbol is given by Diogenes
                                      Laertius (iii, 66). He names and describes the use of various signs in a
                                      text of Plato; in regard to this sign he says: "the obelos
                                      periestigmenos is for random
                                      rejections (of passages)." Nowhere has ↓ been found among literary
                                      papyri of Classical
                                      authors.

                                      The use of both signs, however, is frequent in Biblical and
                                      Christian papyri. Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Vaticanus demonstrate
                                      the frequent use of both signs, sometimes together and sometimes
                                      separately, but always where a correction has been made. When
                                      used together, ↓ stands in the margin and •/•. marks the precise place
                                      in
                                      the line for the correction.

                                      Henry A. Sanders notes the use of •/•. in some biblical manuscripts
                                      dated to the fourth or early fifth century, marking the location
                                      of the omission and then repeated in the margin giving the words to
                                      be supplied.

                                      An exact parallel to P.Rob. inv. 28 is described in P. Tura, where ↓
                                      and •/•. stand together in the margin at the beginning of the part to be
                                      supplied.

                                      A somewhat later function of •/• is described by Isidore (A.D. 602-
                                      36), bishop of Seville (1.21): Lemniscus, id est, virgula inter geminos
                                      punctos jacens, opponitur in his locis, quae sacrae Scripturae
                                      interpretes
                                      eadem sensu, sed diversis sermonibus transtulerent, "The
                                      lemniscus, that is a stick lying between two points, is placed in those
                                      places which the interpreters of Holy Scriptures transcribe in the
                                      same sense, but with different expressions."

                                      end of citation

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 8, 2006
                                        Hello,

                                        The claims that Woodard makes are so numerous that a full response would require more attention than his ideas deserve.  To answer you generally, some of what Woodard is seeing is offset, that is, ink which has cross-printed from the facing page; in other instances he is reading things into mere stains in the parchment; sometimes he's attributing special significance to the quite typical scribal decorations of a colophon; and he even finds minute hidden messages in the ragged shapes of letters that have suffered the effects of time and use.

                                        I hope it is clear that Bruce Prior and I investigated Woodard's claims because we feel responsible to consult secondary sources in our work and, for the sake of thoroughness, needed to make a careful, open-minded examination of Woodard's work as well.  As it turns out, Woodard's work proved unworthy of the time we invested in it.

                                        If you would like more detail, you could purchase Woodard's book (though I dislike the idea of giving him undue encouragement) and then purchase the new set of images which will hopefully be made available before the end of the year.  This will enable you to examine his claims yourself.

                                        Yours sincerely,