Codex W: Images of John?

  • mr.scrivener
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2006
      I am still trying to get images of the Gospel of John from Codex
      Washingtonensis. The CD available from Sola Scriptura is not the actual
      facsimile, but a list of variants and the Introduction to the
      manuscript.

      I know that Mark has been put online, but I am interested in John, and
      also Luke/Acts. Has anyone seen a .pdf of these images? or a zip file?

      Thanks,
      Eeyore
    • George Young
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2006
        Eeyore:

        Just a breief comment and question. Regarding Codex W
        and the Gospel of Mark, the images posted online at

        http://www.beloit.edu/~classics/GospelOfMark/

        there is two pages missing from this facsimile (i.e.,
        ch15:13-38a). I tried to contact the classics
        department at Beloit College to try to get ahold of
        these pages without success. Do you have these
        missing pages?

        Sincerely,

        Webber Young.

        --- "mr.scrivener" <mr.scrivener@...> wrote:

        > I am still trying to get images of the Gospel of
        > John from Codex
        > Washingtonensis. The CD available from Sola
        > Scriptura is not the actual
        > facsimile, but a list of variants and the
        > Introduction to the
        > manuscript.
        >
        > I know that Mark has been put online, but I am
        > interested in John, and
        > also Luke/Acts. Has anyone seen a .pdf of these
        > images? or a zip file?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Eeyore

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Timothy Arthur Brown
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2006
          Hello Webber,

          There is a missing leaf at this point in the manuscript, so no photographic images of these pages ever existed.

          T. A. Brown
          Franconia, New Hampshire  USA

          George Young wrote:
[...]

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/GuTslB/TM

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • George Young
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2006
            Dear Timothy:

            Do you know when the missing leaf went missing? My
            curiousity wonders if it might not be in someone's
            personal library?

            Sincerely,

            Webber Young

            --- Timothy Arthur Brown <t.a.brown@...> wrote:

            > Hello Webber,
            >
            > There is a missing leaf at this point in the
            > manuscript, so no
            > photographic images of these pages ever existed.
            >
            > T. A. Brown
            > Franconia, New Hampshire USA
            >

            > George Young wrote:
            >
            > >Eeyore:
            > >
            > >Just a breief comment and question. Regarding
            > Codex W
            > >and the Gospel of Mark, the images posted online at
            > >
            > >http://www.beloit.edu/~classics/GospelOfMark/
            > >
            > >there is two pages missing from this facsimile
            > (i.e.,
            > >ch15:13-38a). I tried to contact the classics
            > >department at Beloit College to try to get ahold of
            > >these pages without success. Do you have these
            > >missing pages?
            > >
            > >Sincerely,
            > >
            > >Webber Young.
            > >
            > >--- "mr.scrivener" <mr.scrivener@...> wrote:
            > >

            > >>I am still trying to get images of the Gospel of
            > >>John from Codex
            > >>Washingtonensis. The CD available from Sola
            > >>Scriptura is not the actual
            > >>facsimile, but a list of variants and the
            > >>Introduction to the
            > >>manuscript.
            > >>
            > >>I know that Mark has been put online, but I am
            > >>interested in John, and
            > >>also Luke/Acts. Has anyone seen a .pdf of these
            > >>images? or a zip file?
            > >>
            > >>Thanks,
            > >>Eeyore

            > protection around
            > >http://mail.yahoo.com
            > >

            > >Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Timothy Arthur Brown
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 5, 2006
              Dear Webber,

              This leaf and two leaves from the Gospel of John have been missing ever since Codex W was first examined by scholars after its purchase from an Egyptian antiquities dealer in 1906.  I have never heard any news about the possible whereabouts of these three leaves, but it is possible that they were sold by the same antiquities dealer to another buyer and may indeed be hiding in someone's personal library.  This is pure speculation on my part, but an exciting prospect nevertheless.

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/GuTslB/TM

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/