Re: [textualcriticism] 1 John 2:23b

  • Jan Krans
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
      An interesting case: an (apparent) h.t. error (ECEI ... ECEI) in the
      Byzantine tradition.

      In his Annotationes (first edition 1516), Erasmus notes the difference
      with the Vulgate (which has "qui confitetur Filium et Patrem habet"). In
      Stephanus' third edition (1550), the reading is in the marginal apparatus,
      as found in mss. nr. 4, 10, 11 and 13 (in Greek numerals), which
      translates to mins. 5, 2298, unknown/missing and 398. I have only Beza's
      second edition (1565) here at hand, in which he does not make a
      text-critical remark and does not incorporate the reading. Beza only makes
      the comment that because of this verse (its short form) those are shown
      wrong who say that the "Turks" (i.e. the Muslims) have the same God as
      "we" do.
      In the KJV the words are marked as an addition; they are of course found
      in the Douai-Rheims edition; they are also found in the 1595 Bishop's NT
      (but also marked as an addition). The latter edition is the most likely
      direct source for the KJV.

      For more information on early Greek editions, I would first consult
      Wettstein's Novum Testamentum (1750-1751) if I were you.

      Greetings,
      Jan Krans
      Vrije Universiteit
      Amsterdam

      "Op %1 schreef %3:

      > I'm doing research on how the KJV translators were aware of 1 John
      > 2:23b, since it is not in the TR. Does anyone know if it is included
      > as a variant in the apparatus of Stephanus or Beza?

    • Bruno
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
        Hello,

        They might have got it from the Vulgate or one of Beza's copies.

        John Gill's Expositor said:
        <<
        [but he that acknowledgeth the Son, hath the Father also]: this clause is left out in many
        copies, and stands as a supplement in our version; but is in the Alexandrian copy, in four
        of Beza's manuscripts, and in some others; and in the Vulgate Latin, Syriac, and Ethiopic
        versions

        Bruno