Re: [textualcriticism] Cheltenham canon

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31 11:02 AM
      Thanks to all who responded. Just to clarify, what I'm after is information on the transmission history of the manuscript(s) in which the list occurs. Since sending my message I have found the following volumes:

      The catalogues of manuscripts & printed books of Sir Thomas Phillipps; their composition and distribution.

      The dispersal of the Phillipps Library

      Both of these are by A.N.L. Munby and I've now ordered them via my library. Hopefully they'll have some info for me. And Stephen has given me the current library and shelf mark, so I'm off to see if I can find more info via that route.

      Someone mentioned too the ninth century St. Gall mss that contains the list too (both the Cheltenham and St. Gall btw contain a list of Cyprian's works too)--both drawing on the same exemplar but not dependent on each other. I'm interested in the English one because I'm working on an English author who writes on the canon, and one footnote of a question is whether this list was in England before or during his time and what, if any, influence the list may have had.

      Again, thanks to all who have responded and if you happen to encounter any more clues or info I'd be happy to receive it. Is this a great list or what?

      Many Thanks,

      Larry Swain