Re: [textualcriticism] Secret Mark

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 2 , May 23, 2006
      At 06:47 PM 5/22/2006 +0000, jeff2pointzero wrote:
      >Having been drawn into a wide ranging discussion of religious fringe
      >issues as a result of a law review article that I am in the process of
      >writing on First Amendment law, I was introduced to "Secret Mark." A
      >number of published works have explored the issue pro and con. I was
      >curious to discover if there are any freely available copies of the
      >disputed text and/or handwriting exemplars which would be sufficient
      >for a comparison. I have had a brief offhand discussion with a
      >reputable documents examiner who had expressed a mild curiosity in
      >examining them firsthand.

      Images of the Secret Mark MS are available in Smith's editio princeps
      CLEMENT OF ALEXANDRIA AND A SECRET GOSPEL OF MARK (Harvard, 1973),
      in Charlie Hedrick's article in THE FOURTH R, and are on-line in
      various places.

      Handwriting samples of authentic 18th century Mar Saba manuscripts are
      available in microfilm from the Library of Congress.

      Samples of Smith's Greek handwriting are reproduced in my book (see my
      signature below), which uses forensic handwriting analysis to raise the
      possibility of forgery.

      Stephen Carlson

      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...