Re: Aleppo Codex images

  • mr.scrivener
    Message 1 of 9 , May 22, 2006
      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker"
      <willker@...> wrote:

      > It is a bit tricky to get the actual large images, but here it is:
      > Start with:
      > http://aleppocodex.org/images/x4/1.jpg
      > And then go on by changing this to 2.jpg, 3.jpg and so on...
      > 1.6 MB each!
      > Currently it goes up to 234.jpg.

      Actually, the first group, 1 to 248, range from 1.4 meg up to 2.5 meg
      in size, and average about 1.8 meg.

      However, there are some anomalies:54,55 61 and 66, 84, 86 and 151
      (85k) are only thumbs - about 250k each, and 69 is a 2x image.

      213 and 227 can be found (in images/2x/) at half size.

      images 231 to 248 are only 800k in size each, although the resolution
      looks approximately the same (They must have started using the
      Photoshop "Save for WEB" feature to shrink the file size with some
      loss of quality).

      After that, there is a haitus from 248 to 380 (I think, at least at
      4x size).

      Then 381-576 exist (in the /4x/ folder anyway) at about 800k each.

      Looks like some errors have not been fixed in those directories with
      the file size mixups and omissions noted.

      The second batch (381-576) at least looks consistent.
      files to 1.8 meg, without restoring any of the lost resolution
      from "save for Web" methods of storing the images.

      Be warned: Resaving the images as normal jpgs will not recover lost
      data, but may actually degrade the images further.

      The total number of images in the /4x/ folder will still fit on one
      CD.

      Just experimenting,
      Eeyore.
    • mr.scrivener
      Message 2 of 9 , May 23, 2006
        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "mr.scrivener"
        <mr.scrivener@...> wrote:

        > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker"
        > <willker@> wrote:
        >
        > > It is a bit tricky to get the actual large images, but here it is:
        > > Start with:
        > > http://aleppocodex.org/images/x4/1.jpg
        > > And then go on by changing this to 2.jpg, 3.jpg and so on...
        > > 1.6 MB each!
        > > Currently it goes up to 234.jpg.
        > >

        > Actually, the first group, 1 to 248, range from 1.4 meg up to 2.5
        meg
        > in size, and average about 1.8 meg.
        >
        > However, there are some anomalies:54,55 61 and 66, 84, 86 and 151
        > (85k) are only thumbs - about 250k each, and 69 is a 2x image.
        >
        > 213 and 227 can be found (in images/2x/) at half size.
        >
        > images 231 to 248 are only 800k in size each, although the
        resolution
        > looks approximately the same (They must have started using the
        > Photoshop "Save for WEB" feature to shrink the file size with some
        > loss of quality).
        >
        > After that, there is a haitus from 248 to 380 (I think, at least at
        > 4x size).
        >
        > Then 381-576 exist (in the /4x/ folder anyway) at about 800k each.
        >
        > Looks like some errors have not been fixed in those directories
        with
        > the file size mixups and omissions noted.
        >
        > The second batch (381-576) at least looks consistent.
        > files to 1.8 meg, without restoring any of the lost resolution
        > from "save for Web" methods of storing the images.
        >
        > Be warned: Resaving the images as normal jpgs will not recover lost
        > data, but may actually degrade the images further.
        >
        > The total number of images in the /4x/ folder will still fit on one
        > CD.
        >

        > Just experimenting,
        > Eeyore.

        Apologies: I just noticed I typed in '2x' and '4x' instead of 'x2'
        and 'x4'. Sorry about that. I was thinking with the left side of
        the brain again.

        So everywhere you read '2x' in these explanations just
        substitute 'x2'.

        And don't say 'mattress' to Mr. Lambert or we'll all have to get into
        the fishtank and sing.

        Sincerely embarrassed,
        Eeyore.
      • dwashbur@nyx.net
        Message 3 of 9 , May 24, 2006
          On 24 May 2006 at 0:51, mr.scrivener wrote:

          [snip]
          > And don't say 'mattress' to Mr. Lambert or we'll all have to get into
          > the fishtank and sing.

          :-) That one took a second. And when he says "two feet" he actually means "sixty feet"...

          Dave Washburn
          Encephaloriasis: That condition generated when the person you are dealing with is so
          incredibly stupid, you can actually feel your own brain cells drying up and flaking off.
        • mr.scrivener
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 10, 2006
            For what its worth, I've put the images into zip files.
            Someone lent me some space to put them up.
            They are much easier to deal with like this.
            You can download four files at a time from Internet Exploder. (this
            won't slow down the download, but will actually speed it up). While one
            is downloading, click on another.
            Just click on the files in the directory.
            These files take up a lot of space, and my friend may make me take them
            down again shortly, so take them if you need them now:

            http://cadesign.webworkercanada.com/ALEPPO/

            --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, dwashbur@... wrote:

            > On 24 May 2006 at 0:51, mr.scrivener wrote:

            [snip]
            > > And don't say 'mattress' to Mr. Lambert or we'll all have to get
            into
            > > the fishtank and sing.
            >
            > :-) That one took a second. And when he says "two feet" he actually
            means "sixty feet"...

          • Kent Clarke
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 13, 2006
              Re: [textualcriticism] Re: Aleppo Codex images Greetings All:

              I have not yet looked closely at the Aleppo images, what I have seen looks good. In downloading the zipped files from “mr. scriveners” web address, I noticed that the files and image numbers do not start at the beginning. The first file I have is number 04 and has images 151-200. Is this the extent of the images; or are they a complete set?

              Kent

              Kent D. Clarke (Ph.D. Bristol)
              Associate Professor of Religious Studies
              Department of Religious Studies
              Seal-Kap House
              Trinity Western University
              7600 Glover Road
              Langley, BC
              V2Y 1Y1
              Canada

              --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com <mailto:textualcriticism%40yahoogroups.com> , dwashbur@... wrote:

              > On 24 May 2006 at 0:51, mr.scrivener wrote:

              [snip]
              > > And don't say 'mattress' to Mr. Lambert or we'll all have to get
              into
              > >                                               the fishtank and sing.
              >
              > :-) That one took a second.  And when he says "two feet" he actually
              means "sixty feet"...

            • mr.scrivener
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 14, 2006
                This reflects the limited space my friend had available, and the huge
                size of the files.
                There is a method to the madness: I have left those up which would be
                missing from the collection that someone might have accumulated by
                following the various suggestions for downloading etc. on TClist and
                elsewhere. The numbers in various directories 'run out' or have
                lacuna in their sequences. I have collected the whole set by
                separately exploring various folders and downloading what could be
                found. This is why some images are lower resolution than others.

                I will leave up the files there as long as I can, (till everyone who
                wants copies gets them) and then I will delete those and upload the
                first three (pages 1-150). This should give you the whole set.

                If you are downloading the files, please post a reply indicating you
                have finished downloading. When enough people have had a chance to
                download, I will post the first three files.

                Alternately, someone could host the other three files, and then I
                could leave up these for a longer period.

                I hope this helps,
                Eeyore

                --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Kent Clarke <kentc@...>
                wrote:

                > Greetings All:
                >
                > I have not yet looked closely at the Aleppo images, what I have
                seen looks
                > good. In downloading the zipped files from ³mr. scriveners² web
                address, I
                > noticed that the files and image numbers do not start at the
                beginning. The
                > first file I have is number 04 and has images 151-200. Is this the
                extent of
                > the images; or are they a complete set?
                >
                > Kent
                >

                > Kent D. Clarke (Ph.D. Bristol)
                > Associate Professor of Religious Studies
                > Department of Religious Studies
                > Seal-Kap House
                > Trinity Western University
                > 7600 Glover Road
                > Langley, BC
                > V2Y 1Y1
                > Canada
                >

                > On 6/10/06 12:27 AM, "mr.scrivener" <mr.scrivener@...> wrote:
                >

                > > For what its worth, I've put the images into zip files.
                > > Someone lent me some space to put them up.
                > > They are much easier to deal with like this.
                > > You can download four files at a time from Internet Exploder.
                (this
                > > won't slow down the download, but will actually speed it up).
                While one
                > > is downloading, click on another.
                > > Just click on the files in the directory.
                > > These files take up a lot of space, and my friend may make me
                take them
                > > down again shortly, so take them if you need them now:
                > >
                > > http://cadesign.webworkercanada.com/ALEPPO/
                > >
                > > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com

                > > [snip]
                > > into
                and sing.

                > > means "sixty feet"...

              • mr.scrivener
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
                  Okay I have deleted the other files and I am uploading the first
                  three zip files. These are about 80 meg each, so have patience: You
                  can right-click and download all three at once to save time, once
                  they are all uploaded. The first zipfile (pages 0-50) is already up.

                  Again the link is:
                  http://cadesign.webworkercanada.com/ALEPPO/

                  Have fun!
                  Eeyore.

                  P.S. I'm trying to secure copies of the Leningrad mss also, if anyone
                  is interested.

                  <mr.scrivener@...> wrote:

                  > This reflects the limited space my friend had available, and the
                  huge
                  > size of the files.
                  > There is a method to the madness: I have left those up which would
                  be
                  > missing from the collection that someone might have accumulated by
                  > following the various suggestions for downloading etc. on TClist
                  and
                  > elsewhere. The numbers in various directories 'run out' or have
                  > lacuna in their sequences. I have collected the whole set by
                  > separately exploring various folders and downloading what could be
                  > found. This is why some images are lower resolution than others.
                  >
                  > I will leave up the files there as long as I can, (till everyone
                  who
                  > wants copies gets them) and then I will delete those and upload the
                  > first three (pages 1-150). This should give you the whole set.
                  >
                  > If you are downloading the files, please post a reply indicating
                  you
                  > have finished downloading. When enough people have had a chance to
                  > download, I will post the first three files.
                  >
                  > Alternately, someone could host the other three files, and then I
                  > could leave up these for a longer period.
                  >
                  > I hope this helps,
                  > Eeyore

                  > > > [snip]
                  > to get