Hello all

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2004
      Welcome to this list!
      It is meant as a temporary replacement for the TC-list, which is not
      working properly anymore.
      I invite you all to contribute interesting things in matters textual
      criticism of the Bible.

      To make thinks short, there will be only one rule: If something
      escalates I will intervene.

      ------------------------
      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/
    • Raymond Regalado
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 25, 2004
        On 2004.4.25, at 05:01 PM, Wieland Willker wrote:

        > I invite you all to contribute interesting things in matters textual
        > criticism of the Bible.

        I have only recently started studying textual criticism seriously and
        am looking forward to learning from those in the list. I recently read
        D.A. Carson's "The King James Version Debate" and it has pretty much
        convinced me concerning the superiority of the "Critical Text"
        approach. Before reading Carson I was a TR/MT advocate -- a position I
        held due to having been influenced by popular presentations of the
        "theology of preservation" of the Greek Scriptures in the Majority Text
        tradition, and the alleged corruption of the Alexandrian text type by
        the likes of Origen (who was supposedly an Arian) etc. Carson's book
        dealt briefly with the "Origen as the source of the Alexandrian text"
        argument. I've also found articles by Dan Wallace in www.bible.org on
        textual criticism helpful in dealing with the "theology of
        preservation" argument. Next on my reading list is J. Harold
        Greenlee's "Introduction to New Testament Textual Criticism". Of
        course I still have questions, my views are far from settled and that
        is one reason I joined this list. One thing I feel I really have to
        look into is the pro-MT view of Pierpont and Robinson, which is said to
        be a more reasoned and scholarly defense of the MT position than what
        is commonly available from the popular literature on the subject. So,
        if I may, I'd like to pose a question or rather a request to the list
        that perhaps someone familiar with Pierpont/Robinson could summarize
        their view for our benefit. Thank you.

        Warm Regards,

        Raymond Regalado
        Tokyo, Japan