Re: [textualcriticism] Sinaiticus' Scribes and Margin-Corrections

  • George Young
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2006
      Dear James Snapp:

      Concerning the marginal notes in Sinaiticus, every
      textual critic should hold them in the highest regard.
      My understanding of the textual apparatus in
      Sinaiticus is that we can trace them back to the
      critical signs first devised by Aristarchus of
      Alexandria, who was the chief Grammarian at the
      scribal school of Alexandria during the reign of
      Philopater (222-205 BC). As you know, Sinaiticus
      traces both its lineage and textual exemplar back
      through to Origen of Alexandria (185-254 AD). In his
      own study of the Holy Scriptures, Origen adopted
      several text-critical signs from his Alexandrian
      educators. Two of these text-critical signs are first
      the *Asterisk, which was an X with four dots placed
      between the lines, and the second was the Obelus,
      which was a line with two dotes placed on either side.
      The - Asterisk - when placed in the manuscript
      indicated a reading worthy of *special attention.*
      The Obelus indicated a variant which the scribe judged
      to be worthy of *censure* or *removal.* What we have
      in the Gospel of Mark at 4:19, 10:30, and yes 16:6 is
      an *OBELUS* (or, more correctly, a Metobelus which is
      a more refined form of the Obelus drawn at a 45 degree
      angle with two dotes placed mid-way up the line).

      Now, returning to your assertion regarding Scribe D,
      the Canceled-Sheet Theory, and so forth. First, I
      reiterate that Kirsopp Lake did not state definitively
      that Scribe D exists. Tischendorf theorized that the
      manuscript was the work of four (4) original scribes
      (A,B,C,D). Kirsopp Lake maintained that scribe A wrote
      all of the canonical NT, and theorized that scribe D
      was the one responsible for some of the corrections
      and *canceled-leaves.* Yet, with respect to scribe D,
      Lake cannot help but *admit* that he CANNOT describe
      who Scribe D is! He states: "...it [sic] is more
      easily PERCEIVED than described." (p. xix) Again he
      ponders, "POSSIBLY the letters are more square in D
      than in A?" (p. xix) Still more, he wonders with
      respect to scribe D, "Some of these corrections SEEM
      REALLY TO BE IN THE SAME HAND as the text [i.e.,
      Scribe A!]." (p. xxi) Still more doubts arise, "Some
      [of D's corrections] very slightly...but so slightly
      [from A] that they are clearly...made in the
      scriptorium." (p. xxi) FINALLY, Kirsopp Lake must ask:
      "Are they a different hand [i.e., scribe A and scribe
      D] or not?" (p. xxi). No, they are the same hand. This
      sort of language indicates that Lake is, as it were,
      "reasoning out loud."

      But it would be unfair to Lake to supposed that he
      cannot put forward some sort of argument. Shortly
      after taking the photographs of Sinaiticus in St.
      Petersburg in 1909, he obviously wanted to say
      something to scholars! He felt compelled to provide
      them with some argument with which to work. In other
      words, he puts together an argument which at the time
      seemed good to him and then offers it up to the
      academic community. In the end, however, he simply
      summarizes the relevant data concerning Sinaiticus,
      and reiterates what Tischendorf said 50 years
      earlier. Even H.B. Swete wasn’t all that impressed
      with Lake’s arguments, nor with his facsimile. For
      even after its publication, in 1914 Swete wrote that a
      "photographic reproduction of this most important MS
      has yet to appear…The student is still under the
      necessity of extracting the text of [Aleph] from the
      five works of Tischendorf." So, Lake is *permitted*
      to say things like "The discrimination of [scribe] D
      from A and B is easier and admits of no reasonable
      doubt" because without such assumptions, he feels he
      cannot write anything to anyone. In any case,
      so-called "Scribe D" is just what the letter means "a
      door," i.e., "a way out" of a conundrum. The same
      conundrum, I hasten to add, in which many still
      reside. Perhaps this says something about Lake’s
      understanding of academia enterprise?

      Second, turning to the manuscript itself, and in
      particular Mark 16:6, here in this one instance we
      have the Sacred Name spelled out for us. Why only
      here and not elsewhere? You have provided one
      explanation to that effect with the canceled-sheet
      theory and the postulation of Scribe D, who corrects
      the horrible mistake that Scribe A made in his copying
      of the last two (2) chapters of the gospel. But there
      is a problem: (1) The postulation of Scribe D is not
      demonstrable from the paleographical analysis of the
      script. In fact, its doubtful to say the least. To
      suppose, with Kirsopp Lake that "*possibly* the
      letters are more square" is the same as saying
      "possibly they are not." Indeed, possibly there is no
      variation at all. Next, (2) to argue that Scribe D
      replaced the last leaf of Mark and then tried, first
      to compact his writing, but then later, expand his
      writing when he saw he needed to fill space (and thus
      the uncontracted Name IHSOUN) is at the very most mere
      speculation, and at the least a trivialization of the
      scribe’s art and skill. If Scribe D was trying to
      fill space, why place TON NAZARHNON in the margins?
      Why not include it in the main text? Your argument is
      contradictory, and not only here but elsewhere as
      well. But wait, you say "However typical or
      non-typical the errors [sic] are, the scribal marks
      and the corrections alongside them are nothing
      special." The modern textual critic can only
      disregard the ancient textual apparatus to his own
      peril. You need to cast away any meaning to the
      scribe’s Obelus precisely because it means something
      that undercuts your hypothesis.

      To be sure, the variation in the number of characters
      per column is not enough to support the notion of a
      canceled sheet. We see this phenomenon elsewhere in
      Sinaiticus. Moreover, the Scribal Obelus at Mark 16:6
      indicates that TON NAZARHNON is worthy of *censure*
      and *removal* from the main text, which is precisely
      why it is in the margins! This is also why we see the
      Name of Jesus (IHSOUN) uncontracted, ie., for
      EMPHASIS! The uncontracted form of the Name supports
      the scribe’s use of the Obelus. In other words,
      inclusion of TON NAZARHNON violates the scribe’s
      fidelity to his own vocation, which is his fidelity to
      the Exemplar before him. It would only be on account
      of perhaps ecclesiastical pressure that Scribe ***A***
      would include it, yet here only in the margins. And
      we can support this hypothesis by looking at the other
      two instances of the Obelus in Mark (Mk. 4:19 and
      10:30), which in both instances clearly illustrate to
      us in a demonstrable way the precise function of the
      ancient text-critical sign. This too is completely
      consistent with the ancient Alexandian Grammarians and
      Aristarchus himself.

      To proceed one step further, takes us, of course, to
      the Codex Vaticanus. (Yet first, as an aside, Why must
      we rely upon Kirsopp Lake or Tischendorf for
      orthographic/itacistic matters? Can’t we see for
      ourselves?) In Vaticanus there is no Obelus at Mk
      4:19, 10:30, or 16:6. Why not? My suspicion (and I
      do plan to explore this further) is that the Scribe is
      saying something very important to his reader. He is
      obviously aware of B’s readings, indeed, seemingly
      seamless readings, hence the use of the Obelus.

      Sincerely,

      Webber Young.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • George Young
      Message 2 of 7 , May 6, 2006
        Dear James Snapp/TC List:

        Concerning the marginal notes in Sinaiticus, I hold
        them with great interest.
[...]

        reiterate that in my reading of Kirsopp Lake he did
        not state definitivelythat Scribe D exists. As you
        know, Tischendorf theorized that the
        manuscript was the work of four (4) original scribes
        (A,B,C,D). Kirsopp Lake maintained that scribe A wrote
        all of the canonical NT, and theorized that scribe D
        was the one responsible for some of the corrections
        and *canceled-leaves.* Yet, with respect to scribe D,
        Lake cannot help but *admit* that he CANNOT describe
        who Scribe D is! He states: "...it [sic] is more
        easily PERCEIVED than described." (p. xix) Again he
        ponders, "POSSIBLY the letters are more square in D
        than in A?" (p. xix) Still more, he wonders with
        respect to scribe D, "Some of these corrections SEEM
        REALLY TO BE IN THE SAME HAND as the text [i.e.,
        Scribe A!]." (p. xxi) Still more doubts arise, "Some
        [of D's corrections] very slightly...but so slightly
        [from A] that they are clearly...made in the
        scriptorium." (p. xxi) FINALLY, Kirsopp Lake must ask:
        "Are they a different hand [i.e., Scribes A and D] or
        not?" (p. xxi). No, they seem like the same hand to my
        eyes. This sort of language indicates that Lake is,
[...]

        five works of Tischendorf." So, Lake is challenging
        when he says things like "The discrimination of
        [scribe] D from A and B is easier and admits of no
        reasonable doubt..." because without such assumptions,
        he feels he cannot put together a seemless argument.
        In any case,
        so-called "Scribe D" is just what the letter means "a
        door," i.e., "a way out" of a conundrum.

        Second, turning to the manuscript itself, and in
        particular Mark 16:6, here in this one instance we
        have the Sacred Name spelled out for us. Why only
        here and not elsewhere? You have provided one
        explanation to that effect with the canceled-sheet
        theory and the postulation of Scribe D, who corrects
        the horrible mistake that Scribe A made in his copying
        of the last two (2) chapters of the gospel. But there
        is a problem: (1) The postulation of Scribe D is not
        demonstrable from the paleographical analysis of the
        script. In fact, its doubtful to say the least. To
        suppose, with Kirsopp Lake that "possibly* the
        letters are more square" is the same as saying
        "possibly they are not!" Indeed, possibly there is no
        variation at all (I don't see any). Next, (2) to
        argue that Scribe D
        replaced the last leaf of Mark and then tried, first
        to compact his writing, but then later, expand his
        writing when he saw he needed to fill space (and thus
        the uncontracted Name IHSOUN) is at the very most mere
        speculation, and at the least a misunderstanding of
        the
        scribe’s art and skill. If Scribe D was trying to
        fill space, why place TON NAZARHNON in the margins?
        Why not include it in the main text? Your argument is
        seems inconsistent, and not only here but elsewhere as
        well. You say "However typical or
        non-typical the errors [sic] are, the scribal marks
        and the corrections alongside them are nothing
        special." I suspect you don't really feel this way
        about the marginal notes. There is no need to cast
        away any meaning to the Scribe’s Obelus precisely
        because it means something
        that we don't understand.

[...]

        the Codex Vaticanus (I will explain this further in my
        next email - Recall, however, Where is it in Vaticanus
        that we see an UNCONTRACTED instance of the Sacred
        Name in Mark? It gets interesting!!!). In Vaticanus
        there is no Obelus at Mk 4:19, 10:30, or 16:6. Why
        not? My suspicion (and I do plan to explore this
        further) is that the Scribe might be *exorcising* the
        demons in his text.

        Comments Welcome.

        Sincerely,

        Webber Young.