The Ending of Mark in Old Georgian Witnesses

  • James Snapp, Jr.
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 21, 2006
      Daniel Buck,

      Sorry I didn't get to this sooner.

      The Adysh MS (from 897) and the Opiza MS (913) do not contain the
      Long Ending of Mark, but the Tbet' MS (995) does.

      Misinformation has been spread about the Adysh MS. In "The Four
      Gospels," B.H. Streeter relied on a statement from R.P. Blake as the
      basis for the following claim: "In the oldest MS. of the Georgian
      version, which is dated 897, the Gospel ends at xvi. 8. But the
      "Longer Conclusion" (as the last twelve verses are usually styled) is
      added as a sort of Appendix to the Four Gospels after the end of
      John, having apparently been copied from another text." (p. 335, The
      Four Gospels, © 1924, 1961 Macmillan & Co. Ltd.)

      Others have echoed Streeter about this. However, Dr. Jost Gippert of
      the University of Frankfurt, after examining a facsimile of the Adysh
      MS, has assured me that the Adysh MS contains Mark 13:34-37 after the
      end of John, NOT 16:9-20.

      DB: "This is important as without geo1's testimony, Georgian (geo2)
      is the only version that lacks attestation to the Long Ending of
      Mark."

      The earliest discernible strata of the Georgian version reflects the
      earliest discernible strata of the Armenian version (initially made
      c. 411), in which the LE is absent (or at least separated) from the
      Gospel of Mark. It's possible that an Armenian Gospels-Harmony may
      have existed before that; perhaps Eznik of Kolb, in his apparent use
      of material from the LE, was using such a text.

      Curtisville Christian Church
      Indiana (USA)
      www.curtisvillechristian.org