Re: Gospel of Judas on nationalgeographic.com

  • Roger Pearse
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 21, 2006
      Both Epiphanius and Irenaeus refer to a ps.Gospel of Judas as used
      by Cainites. Is it certain that these two descriptions refer to a
      single document? (i.e. That there is not more than one?)

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Bart Ehrman <behrman@...>
      wrote:

      > The Gospel of Judas *itself* is no hoax. It is a manuscript
      from
      > around 300, a Coptic translation of an original that predates
      Irenaeus.
      > ANd very interesting. The best resources are the books just now
      published
      > by National Getographic.
      >
      > -- Bart Ehrman
      >

      > On Sun, 9 Apr 2006, Ben Davidson wrote:
      >
      > > OMG! I just looked more closely at their 'translations'.
      > > First let me apologise to any who wasted their time on that
      link.
      > > I am a sucker for images, and I didn't even give xlations a
      glance at first.
      > > Actually, now that i think of it, why haven't there been more
      such hoaxes?
      > > I am not encouraging anyone. The only one I can think of is
      Morton Smith
      > > and the Secret Gospel of Mark...but like all good hoaxes I
      suppose the jury is
      > > still out on that one. I guess I should have seen a 'Judas'
      thing coming,
      > > but how many have there actually been? almost none?
      > >
      > > regrets and apologies,
      > > Eeyore...
      > >

      > > Peter Kirby <peterkirby@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I think this geocities site (though now at gospelofstjudas.com)
      is a hoax. You can read their "translations" (no originals) and
      decide for yourself:

      > > http://www.gospelofstjudas.com/router_page.html
      > >
      > > Anyone can collect a few archaeological and mss. photos and put
      up a website claiming a discovery. They also declare that they
      take "no responsibility, ever." Heh.