Morton Smith's Mar Saba Mark Secret

  • goranson@duke.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 21, 2006
      At
      http://www.hypotyposeis.org/weblog/
      Stephen Carlson, author of The Gospel Hoax: Morton Smith's Invention of Secret
      Mark (2005), notes a book forthcoming in September 2006: The Secret Gospel of
      Mark Unveiled: Imagined Rituals of Sex, Death, and Madness in a Biblical
      Forgery, by Peter Jeffery, Yale U.P.
      At amazon, Prof. Adela Yarbro Collins, a careful scholar, wrote: "Peter
      Jeffery's book proves beyond a reasonable doubt that Morton Smith forged the
      discovered text. It demonstrates that he had the scholarly expertise, the wit,
      the sense of humor, and above all the motivation to do so."

      Stephen Goranson
      http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
    • Gie Vleugels
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 21, 2006
        <<In the fall, he [Peter Jeffery] will publish a new book entitled, "The Secret Gospel of Mark Unveiled: Imagined Rituals of Sex, Death, and Madness in a Biblical Forgery." In it, he argues that an alleged fragment of the "Secret Gospel of Mark," supposedly discovered by a Columbia professor, is fake.
            "This guy in about 1973 published a text that said ... Jesus initiated his disciples through acts of homosexual intercourse," which caused a great deal of controversy but was never either refuted or proven by scholars, Jeffery said.
            Jeffery, however, approached the text from his perspective as a musical historian and conclusively refuted it. Because "everything it says about the early Christian liturgy is utterly nonsensical, it can't be made to fit into the history," he said.
            Jeffery said that it took more than 30 years to debunk the text because the study of rituals is complicated, involving a high degree of non-textual interpretation.>>

        I'm eager to read an evaluation by Wieland ...
        Gie

        On 4/21/06, goranson@... <goranson@...> wrote:
        At
        http://www.hypotyposeis.org/weblog/
        Stephen Carlson, author of The Gospel Hoax: Morton Smith's Invention of Secret
        Mark (2005), notes a book forthcoming in September 2006: The Secret Gospel of
        Mark Unveiled: Imagined Rituals of Sex, Death, and Madness in a Biblical
        Forgery, by Peter Jeffery, Yale U.P.
        At amazon, Prof. Adela Yarbro Collins, a careful scholar, wrote: "Peter
        Jeffery's book proves beyond a reasonable doubt that Morton Smith forged the
        discovered text. It demonstrates that he had the scholarly expertise, the wit,
        the sense of humor, and above all the motivation to do so."

        Stephen Goranson
        http://www.duke.edu/~goranson

        Yahoo! Groups Links

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --
        Gie Vleugels

                    ><(((°>  +  <°)))><
      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 21, 2006

          Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 7:48 AM
          Subject: Re: [textualcriticism] Morton Smith's Mar Saba Mark Secret

[...]

          I have a lot of respect for Stephen...actually BOTH of you Stephens...but that transcription of Clement's letter to Theodore in the fly leaf pages of the Voss book was done in the 18th century....but I will still refrain from such terminology as "beyond a reasonable doubt" since it is an unscholarly, unacademic, unscientific phrase in the assessment of this issue where the "evidence" for Morton Smith being a "hack" is totally subjective and does not even rise to the circumstantial.

          As I stated on this list almost exactly a year ago:

          First, I think the biggest problem is the term "forgery."  A forgery (in
          writing) is an attempt to duplicate a hand and/or signature.  This is not
          what the person who wrote this document on the flyleaves of Voss' book was
          doing.  The original text of Clement's letter could easily have been in an
          uncial hand.  What I am looking at is a COPY in a Phanariot minuscule hand
          with its "legalistic" shorthandedness, ligatures and flourishes.  Criteria
          for forgeries, such as lack of fluency and rhythm, slow broken strokes,
          "tremors" and retouching and blunt beginning and ending strokes and frequent
          pen rests are not there and do not apply.  This hand has fluency and rhythm.
          There are smooth unbroken strokes and rounded forms with delicate pressure
          at beginning and ending strokes.  I have no reason to believe that Morton
          Smith was accustomed to writing fluently, normally and rhthmically in a
          Phanariot Greek hand.  This is a hurried hand which conforms in my mind to a
          librarian attempting to preserve something he thought important and was
          probably ordered to destroy, much like Kallistos was ordered to do the same
          thing to the copy.  In a legitimate copy of the original, a "tremor" can
          form where the copyist pauses to check back to the exemplar and there may be
          an occasional pen rest.  I also see foxing that occurred between 1642 and
          the time of the writing and also foxing that occurred afterward that
          interferes with the writing....at least so it appears from both the Smith
          and Hedrick photos.

          This document is not a forgery, it is a handwritten copy.  There is a big
          difference.

          As Jim West just posted on XTalk (I am sure he won't mind):

          *begin quote*

          Everyone should watch HTR for an article forthcoming by Scott Brown that
          debunks Carlson's assessment of Secret Mark as forgery by Smith.  If you
          have not seen his book Mark's Other Gospel. Rethinking Morton Smith's
          Controversal Discovery (Wilfrid Laurier Press, 2005), it is worth a look
          before rushing to judgment on Clement's letter.  Most of Carlson's
          evidence for the letter being Smith's forgery was less than circumstantial.
          Cordially,
          Charles Hedrick

          *end quote*

          Jack Kilmon