Re: Codex Vaticanus Cut-away

  • mr.scrivener
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 19, 2006
      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, George Young
      <webber_young@...> wrote:

      > Mr. Scrivener:
      >
      > Thank you very much for your comments on the passage.
      > Do you know the date of the black vatican stamp? When
      > was it placed on the passage? Moreover, do you know
      > when the pagination was added to Vaticanus?
      >
      > Webber Young.

      While talking through my hat, I surmised that the numbers (modern
      arabic numerals in apparent pencil) must have been placed there after
      the publication of Erasmus' Received text, that is in the 'modern'
      era, probably at the beginning (naive period: 1400-2005)of textual-
      critical studies, such as the time of Bengel or Bentley.

      If we presume (again using the hat as a kind of trumpet-mute) the
      Vatican stamp is supposed to document or date known injuries or
      damage to the manuscript (i.e., it is some kind of inspection mark),
      then we could assume it was done after the piece was lost (from the
      overlap onto the next page).

      This appears to have been a simple method of verifying already
      existing damage, for the purposes of preventing those given
      permission to examine the manuscript from being burnt at the stake by
      mistake. (of course I haven't read the details in Foxe's Martyrs, so
      I could be exaggerating the danger to early textual critics here.)

      musing, and mildly amused,
      Eeyore.